Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

73 Ironhead Starter Problems

Old 08-17-2006, 09:26 PM
ironorange
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 Ironhead Starter Problems

whats up everyone ?
Im having some problems with an old Ironhead sportster, I just replaced the Starter motor and solenoid after having problems with it not starting. The battery is fully charged, and it started right up no problems, next thing I knew the bike missed a couple times and stalled out. I hit the start button and it just kept cranking and cranking, so i took out the key, and then shorted the solenoid and removed the lead to the starter and disconected the battery. Im trying to see if anyone might know what the problem is ?? Im going to pull the start button apart on the hand control and see if something is wrong there, but im open to suggestions. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Len.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:53 AM
ironorange
4th Gear
Default RE: 73 Ironhead Starter Problems

well im thinking its the relay ... any other ideas ?

Old 08-18-2006, 12:04 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,349 Likes on 6,843 Posts

I had one of those (AMF 1000cc XLCH) Gave me fits until I looked at the points, the spark advance was frozen open. I pulled the points plate off and the grease had hardened from the heat. I cleaned it all off and put some nice high temp grease on the centrifical advance posts and all was well. I cooked two solenoids before I discovered what was wrong. One other thing mine did was once in a while the spark plugs would not fire under compression, pull them out and they would fire, put them in and would not do crap. Put a new set in and it would run just fine. Try a new set of plugs and check your points and spart advance. Hope this helps.

-Scottie

Old 08-19-2006, 01:14 AM
ironorange
4th Gear

Thanks for the response, Im going to check the points tommorow before I go to the bike shop to get another solenoid, the new one I just got is toast from the non-stop crank episode ... I did install the starter relay and tried to start it up and no action, removed the solenoid and its all done ... So tommorow im going for a new battery, battery cables, solenoid, and hopefully the ignition is ok ... Thanks for the help

Old 08-19-2006, 06:58 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Solenoid is most likely your problem.These are prone to pitting and do what you are experiencing.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:28 AM
ironorange
4th Gear

Well I rebuilt the solenoid, and the solenoid is functional, and i installed the new relay. Now my battery wont hold a charge after that last non-stop cranking episode, So new battery, and I should be good for the streets ! till then'

Len.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:37 AM
ironorange
4th Gear

well now i have a new battery, new starter, new relay, solenoid, battery cables and when i try to start it all i get is a click/clunk from the solenoid. when i hook a jumper from + to starter the starter spins freely. when i bypass the solenoid all i get is a clunk. battery reads 12.78 volts. engine can turn over by hand with the plugs out. I have the primary cover off and when i hit the button the gear only sometimes engages with the clutch gear. it seems like it does not want to return fully. I also pulled the solenoid apart to check the contacts and they still look pretty good. one small pit on one of the contacts, and a few on the washer, but i lightly sanded them down and they look good.

Please help me out with any ideas, its driving me nuts. Thanks alot ! I also performed all the continuity tests on the starter, and all is good. and all the cables are clean, new and tight. I really could use some advice. should i take the batter in to get load tested even though it is new ? let me know what you think should be my next steps. Thanks again.

Len.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:38 AM
ironorange
4th Gear

Just to close the case for the record, the problem was a broken roll-pin on the solenoid plunger alowing one of the springs to be unsprung, getting the plunger caught up not allowing full contact inside the solenoid to get power to the starter and to get the drive gear properly engaged. now its back in action !