Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Battery for BIG V-twin??

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:13 PM
SixSixRider
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery for BIG V-twin??

My custom has a 127" R&R V-twin in it and it takes quite a bit of juice to turn it over. The choice of a battery is limited by the small battery box under the seat. I bought a Braille B2015 battery for it and with 425/574/690 cranking amps at 0/32/80F, respectively, it met all my needs. Worked great!!

Despite statements of very long life & MANY charging cycles, I find that this ~2.5yr old battery won't hold a charge. I can charge it, it'll start the bike, but by the next day it's dead! This bike is not my everyday rider and sits A LOT, but I'd still expect the battery to last longer.

Are there any other small batteries with big cranking amps I should consider?

Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Wiskey7
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2.5 years is not a bad run for a motorcycle battery, considering what is expected of them,
especially in a bike that that is not a daily driver and sits a fair amount of time.
If you were happy with the Braille, and you are sure it is the battery and not something else on your bike draining the battery, I would just buy another one.
If you want to try extending the life of the battery pick up a small trickle charger. Maybe a BatteryMinder? Something designed for AGM type batteries.
Plug it in when you get done riding. It should top off your battery and then switch to a float charge to maintain it. Charged batteries are happy batteries.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:08 PM
SixSixRider
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiskey7
2.5 years is not a bad run for a motorcycle battery, considering what is expected of them,
especially in a bike that that is not a daily driver and sits a fair amount of time.
If you were happy with the Braille, and you are sure it is the battery and not something else on your bike draining the battery, I would just buy another one.
If you want to try extending the life of the battery pick up a small trickle charger. Maybe a BatteryMinder? Something designed for AGM type batteries.
Plug it in when you get done riding. It should top off your battery and then switch to a float charge to maintain it. Charged batteries are happy batteries.
No doubt I could've done a WAY better job maintaining the battery. Ignoring it for 9-months and then expecting it to perform probably wasn't the best strategy!