Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

6th gear light and red security light come on while coasting

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:14 AM
lliden
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6th gear light and red security light come on while coasting

Hi Folks. Hope you can help me diagnose this problem. I have an '08 Ultra Classic. While on a ride this weekend, I was coasting down a mountain road with the clutch lever pulled in. Nice and quiet, enjoying the scenery. But after about 1/4 mile, both the 6th gear light and the red security "key" light came on. They both disappeared once I let the clutch out and applied a little throttle.

At the next stop, when I powered her up again, the red security light stayed on longer than normal, about 8 seconds or so, then turned off. Every other startup since has been normal.

Do you have any ideas what caused the two lights to come on during coasting? Is this something I should worry about? My wife and I are about to go for a week-long trip, and I don't want to get stuck in the boonies....

Thanks in advance..

Old 08-17-2010, 04:34 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

DTCs B1154, B1155 may occur if the vehicle is ridden with
clutch disengaged (pulled in) at speeds greater than 10
MPH (16 km/h) for more than 60 seconds (coasting down a
long mountain road).

Straight from the 2008 EDM so you now have a historic code.
It will clear itself eventually or you can use the speedo to clear it.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:55 PM
lliden
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Scotty. Do you know the purpose of those codes? Is there a reason I shouldn't coast for long distances with the clutch disengaged? Is that practice harmful to the bike in some way? Thanks again for your help.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by lliden
Thanks Scotty. Do you know the purpose of those codes? Is there a reason I shouldn't coast for long distances with the clutch disengaged? Is that practice harmful to the bike in some way? Thanks again for your help.
This happened to me while on an 07 Ultra but i wasn't coasting. It was hot outside and one of the lower vents vibrated closed because the hinge bolt was loose. I found this after pulling over and taking a break.

After letting the bike cool down again and pushing the vent back into the lower all was fine. I tightened it up when I got home and it never happened again.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:00 AM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lliden
No I don't know why the codes come up but I had the same thing happen the first time I coasted down a hill on my 09 Ultra.

Never happened on any of my other bikes up to 07 so checked the manuals and sure enough nothing to worry about.

It has never affected any of my bikes in anyway.........YMMV

Old 08-18-2010, 06:34 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the clutch in for a minute and you're still moving a reasonable guess is the clutch switch is shorted to ground. Here you actually had the clutch in.