Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

sportster starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 05:35 PM
cycocycler
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sportster starter problems

Any one know how to stop a sportster from eating up relays and solenoids? The bike is a 74 xlc, generator, and old style relay switch( the little silver cased unit) which are getting hard to buy around here. I replaced the starter, new generator, checked all wires for shorts. I can install a fresh charge battery, hit the starter button, starter engages, and will not unengage until you disc. battery. I have replaced the starter relay many times. A new relay has corrected the problem, but then, i will get power all the way to the relay, it functions fine, but no reaction from the starter solenoid. I replace the solenoid, get maybe two to three starts, and the whole process repeats itself. Either a burned out relay or a non functioning solenoid. I know that the plunger on the solenoid can be replaced, but it has a burned smell to it when I examine it. I hate to say this but I am ready to make a nice boat anchor out of the thing. It is ny fathers bike, he just loves it, but noone seems to know how to fix it. He just paid 500.oo and it still continues. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. RIDE HARD BUT WATCHOUT FOR THE IDIOTS IN THEIR HUGE STEEL COFFINS

Old 06-22-2005, 12:42 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: sportster starter problems

>>>>and will not unengage until you disc. battery.

Sounds like you have a problem in the switch circuit itself if this happens. It is holding the system up to crank the engine. Maybe bad contacts in the switch not breaking when you let go.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:56 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: sportster starter problems

Has anybody gone through the starter pinion gear assembly, or the starter shifter lever? If this stuff is bent or otherwise messed up, it can hold the solenoid in the engaged position and eventually burn it out. Also check the ring gear on the clutch hub. Also, if the wires are reversed on the solenoid, it will remain in the battery circuit, and not disconnect 'til you pull a battery cable. The cable from the battery should connect to the large long stud, and the cable to the starter motor should connect to the large short stud.

Something to try: Remove the wire on the starter relay from the starter switch pushbutton. Temporarily install a wire from the positive battery terminal to the common terminal of a toggle switch, then from the normally open terminal of the toggle switch to the starter relay. Use it to start the bike several times as you have been doing. If the problem persists I would suspect something with the pinion gear assembly or starter shifter lever. If it goes away there is something wrong with your starter pushbutton and/or circuit.

I used to chunk the starter relays and install a switch heavy enough to carry the solenoid current. One less piece to mess up!

There are a lot of 12v relays in the auto world you can use instead of the stock relay.