Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT or Dealer Download?

Old 09-19-2006, 11:47 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,346 Likes on 6,840 Posts
Default SERT or Dealer Download?

Okay, this may have been posted before; however I'm new to all this and could use some input. I am going to put a SE A/C and SE slip-ons on my 2006 FXDI. I guess the choice is have the dealer put a download on the ECM for $149.00 + $25.00 labor or purchase a SERT and do it myself. The cost fro the download is about 1/2 the cost of the SERT. Does doing it yourself with a SERT void the warranty on any of the engine components? I can do the mechanical work and am fairly computer literate. So, help me out here, I see a lot of SERT tuners but need some input about the dealer download.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Respectfully,

The Breeze

Old 09-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: SERT or Dealer Download?

If you are desiring the ultimate in performance, lack of the decel pop, and a bit cooler motor, then go with the SERT.....

If you just want the Harley Tax and are not so wrapped up in the desire to "Smoke a Fatty" from Red to Red, then go with the D/L....

If, by some strange Planetary alignment, that you choose to go bigger, change cams, different exhaust, velocity stack, any type of modification that will affect performance and the Air/Fuel tract is modified, you will have to get another download, or you just update your ECM with the new parameters with the SERT....

Dollar for Dollar, you are better off going with the SERT, as 2 D/L will set you back $300 pre-tax and labor (If applicable).....

SERT is a 1 time investment, and evolves WITH your bike....

Old 09-20-2006, 10:44 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member

BOB,

Thanks, guess I will go with the SERT. While I have no desire to "Smoke a Fattty" (did that when younger) I do like to think ahead and get the most for my $$. I may decide in the future to build the engine so the SERT seems the logical choice. I understand the Dealer need to amke a buck and pay for the equipment they use but it seems a little pricey for a software download that will take them 15 minutes. But I also understand the cost of the dealer equipment is in the $1000's.

The feed back is much appreciated and I know I am going to enjoy this forum.

Any recommendations on where to buy the SERT? My local Dealer or is there one that sponsers this forum that is good to work with.

Thanks again.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:28 AM
1potter1
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

06 ultra w/ race download runs great.

if you go with harley download you have to make sure its the (race) download version. this is the only download that adds extra fuel to overcome factory lean conditions. you should be able to find info. with search option.

also make sure the download matches your fuel injectors size, there is two versions one for 8 degree and one for 25 degree injector. like most dealers in my area they are uneducated about the product the sell so be careful and watch the product they try to sell you.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 1potter1

06 ultra w/ race download runs great.

if you go with harley download you have to make sure its the (race) download version. this is the only download that adds extra fuel to overcome factory lean conditions. you should be able to find info. with search option.

also make sure the download matches your fuel injectors size, there is two versions one for 8 degree and one for 25 degree injector. like most dealers in my area they are uneducated about the product the sell so be careful and watch the product they try to sell you.
The RACE is to be used with SEAC and SE slip-ons..... of which he has....

The LEGAL is for SEAC only.....

FWIW, Digital Tech will not allow you to install any download on an 06 unless the injector pitch is verified, and the installed injector is selected....

Old 09-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

Order it from Zanotti's HD in Butler, PA......

Old 09-20-2006, 12:28 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks Bob!

I have a late model year 2006 FXDI and have the 25 degree injectors, verified by eyeballing the part numbers stenciled on them.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:21 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the SERT, the download only works with one setup and a waste of money unless you never plan on changing anything or doing a dyno tune. JMHO

Old 09-21-2006, 01:04 PM
BCSKYPILOT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've asked this silly question before but I still don't know... IS a SERT the same as a harley davidson race tuner? I was thinking SERT=Screaming Eagle Race Tuner?

Old 09-21-2006, 02:59 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, you got it right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SERT or Dealer Download?