Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:40 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

I would like to start a new HD Tuner information thread.

This is to be a thread for the exchange of information concerning the HD tuners. I would like to focus on the SESPT (SEPro) since it is the current generation product and limit discussion on the Street Tuner (SEStreet) since it only allows the dealer to upload street legal calibrations and does not permit DIY tuning.

I would prefer that this become a knowledge base for SEPST users and not a debate about what tuning product is better. Ideally posts would contain user tips, questions on using the tuner and various features, user experiences both successes and failures, etc. perhaps even some tutorial type stuff.

I have been tuning carbureted bikes since I was a teenager. So I have a grasp of the basics. But fast Forward to 2008 and my new EFI Fat Bob. I decided after some research that I wanted a tuner that would allow me to reprogram the ECM and not just an add on. So I purchased the SEPST, Cable Kit, and Software from Zannotti’s and got a great deal.

I soon realized that most of the discussion concerning tuning revolved around the VE tables. Before Smart Tune was added as a feature I would set my AFR table to 14.6 across the board and ride and record data. I would manually adjust the VE table to bring it closer in line with what I was observing from the recorded data. This seemed to be working well, and then I upgraded the Software and was able to Smart Tune. IMHO the bike runs great. Now I am tweaking the timing. My plan is to develop ignition timing tables based on a high degree of advance and compare them on a dyno to the base tables.

Anyone care to share?

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 01-20-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Title change for Sticky
The following 4 users liked this post by jluvs2ride:
benscratchin (03-30-2023), cobalt07 (05-16-2021), Dakota_Male (10-03-2020), M Oclaf (12-13-2021)
Old 01-20-2011, 07:25 AM
mattieJ
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New to the whole bike scene

I bought my first motorcycle last month and had no idea what I was in store for. So, I ended up spending hours upon hours on this forum and others making sure my new girl got the best care. One of the items I decided to purchases was the SEPST. I hooked it up to the bike for the first time this past weekend and it was dead simple. As soon as the connection was made it indicated an update was needed. Boom, update complete. After the "reboot", and navigating to the tuning section of the software, it presented me with the three base maps applicable to my steed. I picked the one I wanted, uploaded the map, followed the rest of the directions, and voila, map updated. She fired right up and was begging to go for a ride.

I can't imagine any other tuner being easier to use. Even the smart tune feature looks like a capable feature in the hands of a computer literate individual.

The following 2 users liked this post by mattieJ:
Dakota_Male (10-03-2020), DallasPirate (04-02-2022)
Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I've read where folks are not reading the small print and being snookered by the MoCo. The SE Street performance tuner will only allow the dealer to upload street legal stage maps. The dealer has to buy a usb key from HD in order to use this, you won't be able to. The maps for this tuner do not allow you to modify them. If your in the market for the SE tuner from HD steer clear of the Street tuner which looks like this.

If you must buy a tuner from HD get one of the ones below.

This is the older version.

This is the newest version, note it doesn't say Street on it.

The following users liked this post:
benscratchin (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

I'd like to see this thread stay strictly about the SEPST as well, it seams everytime a tuner thread starts up it turns into a debate about which is the best. TTS has a sticky and it is a very informative thread. I have dyno tuned tons of SEPST and am very familiar with the functions, I have played around with the smarttune some but I havn't really had the need to play with it alot, having access to a dyno and all. Anyways, great thread jluvs2ride, i'll check it often and hopefully I can add to it.

Last edited by harleytuner; 01-20-2011 at 03:43 PM.
M Oclaf (09-11-2021)
Old 01-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

That's what we are working toward, a sticky for the SEPro/SEStreet.

How about one of you guys that has good writing skills post a good "How to SmartTune" in this thread... What ya think?

The rest of the SE Tuner stuff will fall into place.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 01-20-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: stupid spelling
M Oclaf (09-11-2021)
Old 01-20-2011, 03:42 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
That's what we are working toward, a sticky for the SEPro/SEStreet.

How about one of you guys that has good writing skills post a good "How to SmartTune" in this thread... What ya think?

The rest of the SE Tuner stuff will fall into place.
jluvs2ride is working on a write up. I have tons of experience tuning them with a dyno, I have played with the smarttune feature and will say that it does work as advertised.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 01-20-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: my spelling mistake
Old 01-23-2011, 06:17 AM
matt45
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2011 SEPST Calibration

I just got the 2011 SEPST software and I discovered new calibrations for 2011 Softail, I own a Stage 2 (with SE CAM255) 2009 Softail with 2-1 Pro Pipe exhaust and I wondered if I could use the 2011 Softail calibration 242SPZ001 instead of the updated 176MS003 ?.
Thanks for any advice;

Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 267 Likes on 166 Posts

No. The 2011 softails now have HDLAN(Harley Davidson Local Area Network). It is 2 wire system. They have an ecm and bcm (body control module). It uses the bcm to send messages rather than current. These bikes require a different calibration. It looks like it does some pretty neat stuff.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:34 AM
matt45
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks for your answer, I will then update to 176MS0004 and work with smart tune from this calibration..

Old 01-25-2011, 08:24 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have started on a discussion of the Process of Smart Tuning, but I need to get some screen shots. Will post it soon.

I want to mention that there are a number of different tuning philosophies. The one that seems the most logical to me and hence the one I follow is to start with the base map closest to my set up and utilize the Smart Tune process until the proposed corrections are so small as to be negligable.

At this point the bike should have a baseline set to work from, and from here I began adding fuel in my AFR table. I closely monitored collected data to determine my cruise range and it is currently the only area of my AFR map that is closed loop.

I look forward to hearing others experiences.

The following 2 users liked this post by jluvs2ride:
benscratchin (01-20-2024), M Oclaf (12-13-2021)

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread