Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

1996 EFI diag scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:40 AM
rosenc
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 EFI diag scan tool

I've read the many posts related to the scanalyzer and digital tech scan tool and can't find anything related to the older models. I have a solid engine light on and the bike won't start. It has weak spark on the front and no spark on the rear. It was idling before it shut off. I bought this bike new and have run it 60k miles and this is the first ECM related issue. How do I read the code? Is there a scanalyzer like tool for a 96 model similar to the digital tech? I calledhem and they do not offer anything. Thanks...scott.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rigged up my own. Assuming this is an FLH,you didn't say,there's a 4 pin plug under your right side cover that's not plugged into any thing.This is where the scan tool plugs in. Reading left to right,top to bottom. I found 4 connector pins that fit the pins in that plug. Pins 3 and 4 have to be shorted together. Strip the ends of a short piece of wire and crimp onto connector pins and plug into 3 and 4 in the plug. Slide 2 more pins on 1 and 2 in the connector. Get a test light (any kind will do) and connect to pins 1 and 2. Turn your ignition switch on and you will see your test light blink 7 times with a pause in 2 consecutive orders. Your next sequence will be your trouble code sequence,count the pulses of light. If there's another code it will come up next after a pause,followed by the 7 pulses.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:36 PM
rosenc
6th Gear

yes, it is a FLH and will give this a try. are test lamps or scanalyzers for the pre-delphi models available outside of harley?

Old 01-25-2011, 02:09 PM
rosenc
6th Gear

Just so I'm clear. With the connector attached to the ECM, top means closest to the ECM. book shows pin 1 connected to ECM pin 10, pin 2 to ECM 34, pin 3 to ECM 15 and pin 4 to fuel pump relay.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member

You just need to short pin 3 and 4. Get a generic test light and hook up to pin 1 and 2. I tried to find a scanalyzer and was unsuccessful. The service manual tells you the codes.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:18 PM
rosenc
6th Gear

i shorted out pins 3 and 4 and put a test lamp across 1 and 2...nothing on the test lamp. Connector pins are numbered with the connector lock at the bottom...1 - bottom left and 4 bottom right...2 top left and 3 top right. Pin 4 is from the fuel relay and has 12v on all the time. Now that I shorted 3 and 4, putting 12V on pin 3, I hope this is what you were referring too. If not, I guess I need a new ECM at a minimum and then look for a scanalyzer.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rosenc
i shorted out pins 3 and 4 and put a test lamp across 1 and 2...nothing on the test lamp. Connector pins are numbered with the connector lock at the bottom...1 - bottom left and 4 bottom right...2 top left and 3 top right. Pin 4 is from the fuel relay and has 12v on all the time. Now that I shorted 3 and 4, putting 12V on pin 3, I hope this is what you were referring too. If not, I guess I need a new ECM at a minimum and then look for a scanalyzer.
Is your ignition switch in the on position? There's a small connector that is not attached to anything. That is where you scan not the ECM connector..

Last edited by Mike T; 01-25-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:43 PM
rosenc
6th Gear

yes. ignition off. shorted pins 3 and 4. put a test light across pins 1 and 2. turned on ignition, fuel pump cycles, red light on for 4 sec. then off. after a few seconds engine light back on and stays on. nothing on the test light. it is a '96 flhtcui.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member

It's sounding like your ECM might have gone bad. It would be good if you could find a known working unit to swap it out. I would take it to the dealer before I bought one to be positive of your problem.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 AM
rosenc
6th Gear

I hate loading it on the trailer just to pay the dealer to read the code for me.

Quick Reply: 1996 EFI diag scan tool