Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:07 AM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Maybe not, as Fuel Moto already has quite a few PV tunes for TBW bikes and I'm sure they're increasing in number weekly.
Excellent point that I did not consider. Thanks!

I don't think this is the case. My experience with FM maps has been excellent, and I would suggest that although you might gain a few percent by doing a dyno-tune, assuming the tech is competent, I doubt if you'd feel the difference.
I disagree with this. Given my numbers I have now with the FM 107" and Autotune vs. what others are showing with dynotuned FM 107", I would definitely be able to feel the difference in 5-10 pounds of torque.

Describe "hiccups." If you have PCV-AT already and are happy with the bike's performance, I would keep it.
Under hard acceleration the engine will hiccup as if the fuel was cut off or engine dies for a split second. Not all the time....but it happens some times.
Lugging, this engine lugs more than any bike I've ever own and I attribute that to the tune and lack of adequate air. It's annoying in the 2000-2400 rpm range. When I get my FM heads, the problem should be corrected. My HQ's 107" NEVER lugs in any gear.

I've very happy with the PC-V with Autotune and if I had to do it all over again, I'd purchased the same setup. Thanks

Old 03-08-2011, 11:20 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CigarCritic
I disagree with this. Given my numbers I have now with the FM 107" and Autotune vs. what others are showing with dynotuned FM 107", I would definitely be able to feel the difference in 5-10 pounds of torque.
That's definitely enough to feel! So are your numbers with PCV-AT the higher ones compared to those from others who're using FM maps only? Anyway, I'm surprised there's that much of a difference. So you didn't do a dyno-tune and are using AT, but did do a dyno run for the charts?

Under hard acceleration the engine will hiccup as if the fuel was cut off or engine dies for a split second. Not all the time....but it happens some times.
Lugging, this engine lugs more than any bike I've ever own and I attribute that to the tune and lack of adequate air. It's annoying in the 2000-2400 rpm range. When I get my FM heads, the problem should be corrected. My HQ's 107" NEVER lugs in any gear.
Maybe you should experiment with the AccelPump settings in the PCV software. I never had to do that and don't know many who've had any need for this feature, but it might work for you. Jamie may have some thoughts on this, too.

I've very happy with the PC-V with Autotune and if I had to do it all over again, I'd purchased the same setup. Thanks
I understand completely. I fixed mine even though it wasn't broken, but oddly I feel good about the change. If you're having good luck with the PCV and don't need to make any changes beneath that level in the ECU tables I would not upgrade to PV. The same goes for other flash-based tuners, unless you want the ease of datalogging, display features, or AT-100 capability.

Last edited by iclick; 03-08-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:32 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

So you didn't do a dyno-tune and are using AT, but did do a dyno run for the charts?
Correct, only dyno for the charts. No manual tuning and my autotune numbers are impressive at 97/115, which are really close to what FM posted they were getting before a manual tune. I like Fuel Moto and I like what the company represent, which is Honestly and Integrity. So I did not mind spending a little money and time to get some charts to post up in appreciation to Fuel Moto for delivering a product as advertised.

If I had some more pulls, my numbers would be higher now as I have been tweaking my timing and can feel that the AT has cleaned up the slop in the low rpm A/F area.

Maybe you should experiment with the AccelPump settings in the PCV software. I never had to do that and don't know many who've had any need for this feature, but it might work for you. Jamie may have some thoughts on this, too.
This thread made me go take a look at my timing and I remembered Sunday I heard some pinging at 2750 RPM's, sure enough, I had timing at 5 clear across the 2750 range. Clearly an error on my part. I also lowered the max enrichment lean to 5%. Should be good to go now.

I understand completely. I fixed mine even though it wasn't broken, but oddly I feel good about the change. If you're having good luck with the PCV and don't need to make any changes beneath that level in the ECU tables I would not upgrade to PV. The same goes for other flash-based tuners, unless you want the ease of datalogging, display features, or AT-100 capability.
Like you, there are some other feature I want that the PC-V can't give me. Such at raising Rev Limiter without tach display issues, Throttle Blade Control and Speedo Calibration to name a few. I'm going to try and stick with the PC-V/AT. Today Jamie told me about a hot new feature coming out for the PC-V, it's definitely a game changer in the tuning world. Perhaps he will share the news with the forum soon.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:20 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

No manual tuning and my autotune numbers are impressive at 97/115, which are really close to what FM posted they were getting before a manual tune. I like Fuel Moto and I like what the company represent, which is Honestly and Integrity. So I did not mind spending a little money and time to get some charts to post up in appreciation to Fuel Moto for delivering a product as advertised.
Those are indeed great numbers.

If I had some more pulls, my numbers would be higher now as I have been tweaking my timing and can feel that the AT has cleaned up the slop in the low rpm A/F area.
I have some Knock Retard values of >0 in a few places, and I'm trying to get a grip on them. They are somewhat inconsistent and I'm trying to decide on what to do. What's interesting is that I'm not hearing any of it, as the knock-sensing feature is working as designed. I'm not sure it really matters as long as it senses incipient knock and controls it, as long as it isn't audible or equals the maximum specified, in my case 8°. It sometimes hit that max in one place, which means I need to adjust it there at least a bit.

Like you, there are some other feature I want that the PC-V can't give me. Such at raising Rev Limiter without tach display issues, Throttle Blade Control and Speedo Calibration to name a few.
I don't have the rev-limiter issue or adjustments for TBC, but the speedo calibration was a big deal for me. I hate an inaccurate speedometer.

I'm going to try and stick with the PC-V/AT. Today Jamie told me about a hot new feature coming out for the PC-V, it's definitely a game changer in the tuning world. Perhaps he will share the news with the forum soon.
It'll be interesting to find out more about this.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:27 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Iclick, Best write up PV yet! They shoulda give you one for free. Now if Fuelmoto would reply to my Friday's email, I would probably buy one.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Skidrow
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to try and stick with the PC-V/AT. Today Jamie told me about a hot new feature coming out for the PC-V, it's definitely a game changer in the tuning world. Perhaps he will share the news with the forum soon.
Nice write-up iClick. You've got to get another hobby :-) We wonder why the newbies are confused about tuning. Just from ONE vendor you have the PCIII, the new wiz bang PCV, then came auto tune for the PCV, now the latest and greatest Power Vision, now they're testing the Revolution Tuner! Now there's a "game changer" coming from Fuel Moto again for the PCV. Good God! That's just from one vendor. It's like the freakin' tuner of the week club here.

I've had nothing but great customer service from Fuel Moto but for heaven's sake, every month or so it's "The future of tuning is here".

Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Skidrow
Nice write-up iClick. You've got to get another hobby :-) We wonder why the newbies are confused about tuning. Just from ONE vendor you have the PCIII, the new wiz bang PCV, then came auto tune for the PCV, now the latest and greatest Power Vision, now they're testing the Revolution Tuner! Now there's a "game changer" coming from Fuel Moto again for the PCV. Good God! That's just from one vendor. It's like the freakin' tuner of the week club here.
Yes, it's hard to keep up with. I haven't heard anything about the new whiz-bang PCV enhancement but since I moved to PV I just can't wait to find out what I'll be missing out on. Of course I still have the PCV sitting here on my desk and it would work with the PV as long as PV wasn't connected to the J1850 port where the AT needs to be. I can't imagine what else they could do with the PCV, though, unless there is some sort of diagnostic app that ties into it. I just want my bike to run well and it does that now, so I really can't see changing tuners again if PV pans out like I think it will. Of course six months ago I said that about the PCV-AT.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:32 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, it's hard to keep up with. I haven't heard anything about the new whiz-bang PCV enhancement but since I moved to PV I just can't wait to find out what I'll be missing out on. Of course I still have the PCV sitting here on my desk and it would work with the PV as long as PV wasn't connected to the J1850 port where the AT needs to be. I can't imagine what else they could do with the PCV, though, unless there is some sort of diagnostic app that ties into it. I just want my bike to run well and it does that now, so I really can't see changing tuners again if PV pans out like I think it will. Of course six months ago I said that about the PCV-AT.
maybe some kind of auto tune with narrow band sensors, and by that I mean something like the flashed ems from rev perf that the end user does not adjust just rides, that would be a game changer.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I just made an addition to my first post that you can also view trouble codes and clear them on the display unit. There may be other functions that I haven't figured out yet, but will post info on them as they are discovered.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:51 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

What's needed is an auto tune unit that has real time timing advance up to the point of knock retard so max power is always made on the fly. Timing curves are the biggest mystery to me at this point without extensive datalogging and review and adjustments. I use a SEPST, and can adjust timing, but feel its a trial and error excercise. AutoTiming is the newest need that I can foresee!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread