Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 12:14 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
Just remember Kpa doesn't equal throttle or twist grip position. You can hit 80-90-100 Kpa at as little as 25% TP if your lugging it or rolling on it heavy to pass without downshifting.
Oh and Happy Thanksgiving all.
That's when I usually hit WOT while passing in 6th, anywhere else I have a tendency to hit the limiter.

We have/had a machine shop owner with your name out here

Last edited by JustDave13; 11-26-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:37 PM
adkg12
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I worked on a tune most of the evening. Runs great! Throttle response off idle is acceptable, could be better though, but acceptable. Eco, is really bad at 70MPH in 6th gear. So to improve that, would I lean it out in the related RPM/map range a bit? Getting better at this I think! Good teachers! If anyone would like to look at my Tune and Logs...if anyone better wants to take a look..
Thanks
Glen

Old 11-27-2015, 06:08 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Post up a big log and let's see how it is running.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:00 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

I came up with two simple filters that finds where you spend most of your riding time. In a last screen, you find out just how tight your tune is in most of the time you ride.

The first filter simply throws out when you are at 0 throttle. This tosses out the time idling.

The filter is written

Zero Throttle

And define it as

[TP]< 1

Then you plot X=RPM Y = MAP and X=Hits

http://www.nbs-stl.com/HarleyTuning/...ise%20Area.png

The left most screen shows the results. The red areas are where you spend the most time riding. If you are looking for fuel economy, that is where you want to be as lean as possible and still have the motor happy.

Now I create a filter to isolate just this area.

Mid Range Only

And define it as

[RPM] <2000 or [RPM]> 3700 or [MAP] < 26 or [MAP] > 55

Note:Your numbers will be slightly different, depending what you see as your red area in the first screen.

The screen on the right is X= MAPxRPM Y=Duty Cycle Front or Rear and Z=AFR Front or Rear with filters applied. You want nearly a straight line in this area that shows up.

I also have a filter that throws out AE and DE

Transient HD

And I define it as

[Acel Enr] >0 or [Decl Enl]>0

Have fun tuning

Andy

Old 11-27-2015, 09:54 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave13
That's when I usually hit WOT while passing in 6th, anywhere else I have a tendency to hit the limiter.

We have/had a machine shop owner with your name out here
6th gear is so tall I didn't really try to tune for it. I hardly use it. In 6th going 70 mph my AFR at 2500 RPM and about 40-60 Kpa is in my leaner cruise range anyway. But it does kinda feel like its lugging below 3k RPM, And when rolling on the throttle.(Thats fully loaded with tour pak and wife)I'll downshift and wind up 5th to 5500ish. Although my rev limiter is set at 6200, 5500 is where/when I'll back off or shift up, seems to be running out of gear by then. I also use the heavy duty SE clutch spring.Plus over 3k in 6th the OL gets a little nervous lol, Thats doing 85-90 mph!

My father aka Smokey Stover lived in SD. He passed away a few years ago. That shop owner must be another one. My uncle also goes by Smokey and lives out there part time. Old family nic-name after an old comic strip character Firefighter.

Whittlebeast, I've downloaded MLV, The small size logs the free trial version allows don't tell me much.(Not sure wth I'm lookin at lol) But they do look like some of your examples. I would be interested in your opinion of a larger file sometime. I feel I've done a pretty good job with my PV1 basic AT and the old Log Tuner.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:04 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Post up about an hour log of mixed riding and lets see how it looks.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:11 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
6th gear is so tall I didn't really try to tune for it. I hardly use it. In 6th going 70 mph my AFR at 2500 RPM and about 40-60 Kpa is in my leaner cruise range anyway. But it does kinda feel like its lugging below 3k RPM, And when rolling on the throttle.(Thats fully loaded with tour pak and wife)I'll downshift and wind up 5th to 5500ish. Although my rev limiter is set at 6200, 5500 is where/when I'll back off or shift up, seems to be running out of gear by then. I also use the heavy duty SE clutch spring.Plus over 3k in 6th the OL gets a little nervous lol, Thats doing 85-90 mph!

My father aka Smokey Stover lived in SD. He passed away a few years ago. That shop owner must be another one. My uncle also goes by Smokey and lives out there part time. Old family nic-name after an old comic strip character Firefighter.

Whittlebeast, I've downloaded MLV, The small size logs the free trial version allows don't tell me much.(Not sure wth I'm lookin at lol) But they do look like some of your examples. I would be interested in your opinion of a larger file sometime. I feel I've done a pretty good job with my PV1 basic AT and the old Log Tuner.
I don't hit 6 until I reach about 75mph, likewise I rarely use it but cruising along 70-80 IIRC the engine rpms are around 2700-2800.
5th gear is best for two up on my bike.

Sorry to hear about your dad, I didn't know there were so many Smokeys out there.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Log .CSV

Okie, can't get out for a ride today, So here's one from last month sometime.
Hope I do this right.
Edit; My build is nothing fancy, Stock 96 c.i. SE stage 1 breather, K&N filter, S&S Power Tune Dual header, V&H 4" Classic Turn Down Mufflers that I made custom baffles for with 2.5" perforated stainless tubing and packing wrap from .... Uhh, I forget it's spagetti like not flat sheet of fiberglass.

Attached Files
File Type: csv
log0001.csv (1.92 MB, 64 views)

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 11-27-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:05 PM
Olsen185
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently installed a FM 107 kit on my 15 Street Glide. FM didn't have any PCV tunes available for my application so I had to also purchase a Power Vision. Since the installation of the 107 kit I have done several Autotune sessions. I think the tune is pretty dialed in but I noticed today that the bike was recording some knock.

I'm having a difficult time figuring out and getting used to the new WinPV software. With the PCV it was very easy to see the changes made to the base tune after the Autotune sessions. Should I be removing timing to get rid of the knock or does the PV do that automatically?

I was going to send FM my latest Autotune file to compare it to the original but we are quickly running out of riding weather here in the northeast. Would anyone be willing to take a look at my files and give me some advise to get this bike dialed in? Also, in a previous email Jamie mentioned sending him some log files. On the PV do I have to choose what sensors to log or does it record all sensors?

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked and answered before, I'm trying to read my way through this thread, but it is very long.

Last edited by Olsen185; 11-28-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:28 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Olsen185
I recently installed a FM 107 kit on my 15 Street Glide. FM didn't have any PCV tunes available for my application so I had to also purchase a Power Vision. Since the installation of the 107 kit I have done several Autotune sessions. I think the tune is pretty dialed in but I noticed today that the bike was recording some knock.

I'm having a difficult time figuring out and getting used to the new WinPV software. With the PCV it was very easy to see the changes made to the base tune after the Autotune sessions. Should I be removing timing to get rid of the knock or does the PV do that automatically?

I was going to send FM my latest Autotune file to compare it to the original but we are quickly running out of riding weather here in the northeast. Would anyone be willing to take a look at my files and give me some advise to get this bike dialed in? Also, in a previous email Jamie mentioned sending him some log files. On the PV do I have to choose what sensors to log or does it record all sensors?

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked and answered before, I'm trying to read my way through this thread, but it is very long.
I pulled timing in those areas where I was getting a knock. Anything recorded that's less than 1 degree I don't worry about.
I was getting a knock in the 2500rpm 50kpa area and had to pull timing by 4 degrees on both front and rear cylinders to get rid of it.

As far as the software goes maybe somebody could chime in with an answer

Last edited by JustDave13; 11-28-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread