Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 06:06 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

^^ Gordon - Yup- I do recall though when running AT Basic the green screen did not react at all like it does now with TT / WB sensors. It's much faster to react and overall my feeling is it's more accurate and gets to the correct VE quicker. I guess you'd have to see it operating with TT/WB so see what I mean. If I had to go back to AT Basic I would not like it after using this. I never could get the WOT and higher load / higher rpm / richer AFR's accurately dialed in with AT Basic. I had a better time of it using data logging, MyTune, and hand adjusting VEs. If I left everything economy and mostly closed loop then it would have been a lot easier to keep the AT Basic setup and call it a day. I could get closed loop AFRs for idle, off idle, cruise dialed in pretty quick with AT Basic.

For the spikes / peaks / troughs - this is where a Dyno and good operator will have a better time of it. with any tuning device my feeling is you should just quit auto tuning when you get within 3% of changes or so. It should run overall pretty decent at that point. Anything beyond that like hand smoothing tables or running log analysis to make fine changes is going to come down to experience in tuning. Perhaps some of the experienced tuners here can chime in on what they do with peaks / troughs in the VE tables after tuning is mostly complete.

Attached is a picture of my front and rear VE tables - I'm done auto tuning and am considering hand blending up the surrounding VEs to meet the peaks. the peaks just come back if I try and take them down so the fuel requirements are legit. It does not matter whether I autotune with min 2 hits or min 10 hits. the same pattern emerges.

Attached Thumbnails Power Vision Information Thread-ve-front.jpg   Power Vision Information Thread-ve-rear.jpg  

Last edited by LA_Dog; 06-29-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:18 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know if this is the correct way or not. I'm basically a retard when it comes to this stuff but when i'm doing auto tune runs I have my min hit count set at 10 because I want to made sure it gets enough samplings so the tune is correct. I ride my bike both normal cruising and aggressive riding. I do 5 tuning sessions 20 minutes long each time. I then take the final tune and use the smoothing function to smooth out the areas that are hard to hit. Seems to work well for me. My bike has never ran this smooth and I tried having it dyno tuned twice.

The following users liked this post:
kosmo01 (07-23-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 06:18 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Teardrop
I don't know if this is the correct way or not. I'm basically a retard when it comes to this stuff but when i'm doing auto tune runs I have my min hit count set at 10 because I want to made sure it gets enough samplings so the tune is correct. I ride my bike both normal cruising and aggressive riding. I do 5 tuning sessions 20 minutes long each time. I then take the final tune and use the smoothing function to smooth out the areas that are hard to hit. Seems to work well for me. My bike has never ran this smooth and I tried having it dyno tuned twice.
I think there are a few tips n tricks or techniques that maybe help but it sounds as if you are doing fine. Only thing I might have suggested was to look at the changes between each autotune (the average % and Maximum % changes it says on the screen), and use the hits screen to get as many of those cells as you can, rather than simply 20 minutes worth.

6 or 7 runs for me and I could get down to 0% average and maximum change of 4%. The general consensus seems to suggest that within 5% is good

Old 06-30-2016, 06:21 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

^^ LA_Dog

Looks like WOC has oleboy lined up for trying a comparative test ...should be an interesting read

Old 06-30-2016, 10:29 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Had a good talk with Steve Cole yesterday about AE DE fuel and logging on CANBus. TTS does show you this in a trace but doesn't display number to go along. Here it is explained to the best of my ability because I only 1/4 *** understand it.

This is all done with binary. The actual input is 0000-000 and that is read 7654-321 from right to left. So, 0000-001 equates to a certain number that is a multiplier. 0000-010 equates to another number as a multiplier, and all the other combos you can have with ones and zeros. Some combos are AE and some are DC. What the binary equates to isn't published and need to be reversed engineered to be figured out.

So, I asked. Is it like a dyna ignition? He said yes, that is an example of binary.

Starts on page 4.

http://www.powercommander.com/downlo...ls/D2K-HD1.pdf

Last edited by hrdtail78; 06-30-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:45 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
Had a good talk with Steve Cole yesterday about AE DE fuel and logging on CANBus. TTS does show you this in a trace but doesn't display number to go along. Here it is explained to the best of my ability because I only 1/4 *** understand it.

This is all done with binary. The actual input is 0000-000 and that is read 7654-321 from right to left. So, 0000-001 equates to a certain number that is a multiplier. 0000-010 equates to another number as a multiplier, and all the other combos you can have with ones and zeros. Some combos are AE and some are DC. What the binary equates to isn't published and need to be reversed engineered to be figured out.
That's fine, I understand that. So the canbus is putting out a digital bit stream of sensor data for the tuning device to capture and interpret at however many times per second.

No idea but say the stream consists of sets of 256 bits of information (1's or 0's) those 256 bits could be...

8bits-MAP, 8bits-RPM, 8bits-Spark_adv_F, 8bits-Spark_adv_R...etc...7bits-AE_DE...etc etc up to the end of the set, then the stream repeats with the next set etc

What the logger does is take the bit stream and break it down into its channels and turns the binary into whatever the number is

Sounds like there is no conversion of the AE_DE that would make sense ...which is slightly strange given there are AE and DE tables ...but then again, maybe these are not meaningful actual numbers either? don't know?

The only reason I was looking at them particularly, was because Mytune seems to use them in it's calculations. No matter, as LA_Dod said, we have what we have

Old 07-06-2016, 08:48 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Timing Questions

I vented the breathers to the atmosphere, I decarbed the combustion chambers, I loaded a new map from Fuel Moto, I autotuned the VE's to 2% and am now ready to time it. It has a few pings in a couple of different areas.

Powervision Wide Band Setup TPS Sensor 2007 Roadking

My thoughts are (and probably wrong)
Turn off VE correction
Retard the whole timing table by 4 degrees
Set hits count to 3
Set max retard 2 degrees
Let autotune retard what it finds by 2degrees
Advance whole timing table 1 degree
Let autotune retard what it finds by 2 degrees
Advance whole timing table 1 degree
Repeat as necessary

Does this sound about right?
I have never run quick tune. I would like to use it to advance the timing 1 degree between autotune runs.
Can you use quick tune along with autotune or do have to quick tune the map then save copy of loaded tune. Then reload that, and then enable auto tune ?

Does my question even make sense ?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. The bike is running super right now but does have the pings and I imagine it has some spots that could be advanced more.

Thanks all

Old 07-10-2016, 09:17 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Sounds right^. I am about done with my ve's. I was going to advance the timing table by two degrees and use mytune to adjust. The autotune the ve's again with pro

Old 07-24-2016, 09:36 AM
goats
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone have a copy of log tuner kicking around?
lost mine when the last comp died!

Old 07-24-2016, 08:57 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

I think you can still download it on fuelmoto site

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread