Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Does LED tail light need a resistor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 02:09 PM
GoOrdnance
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does LED tail light need a resistor?

This is on an '04 Dyna. I am replacing my stock tail light with an LED Sparto tail light. The LED tail light will draw less current than the stock filament bulbs. Do I need to place an in-line resistor for the rest of the electronics to work correctly? I am not replacing the turn signels with LED bulbs. The HD dealer says yes, and the tail light vendor says no.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:47 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

No. You do not.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:49 PM
hedgehorn
Road Captain

^ +1. Sometimes a resistor is need for a turn signal so that the flasher works correctly but your tail light should be fine without one.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:11 AM
Kscrib
Stage I
Default LED Turn-signal/brake lights

Just got my bike back from the shop. I have a combo speed/tach, LED turn-signals (used for brake lights) and a daymaker headlight. Every time I use the brakes it trips a fault code in the ECM which turns on a red light on the speedometer. Tech says it is because the LED turn-signals/brake lights don't draw enough current, so the ECM thinks they are burnt out.

Anyway to fix this? The local HD dealer told me to live with it (after I paid $100 - and they did not fix it)

Old 05-17-2016, 11:42 AM
Dfszme
5th Gear
Default Added LED brake light and now I have issues...

I'm ignorant to some of the wiring necessities of my 2000 Road King. She was already set up where the rear signals will also come on as brake lights and everything was fine with a dual-element normal bulb in the brake light. I replaced the stock brake light with a smoke lens ,red LED brake light with two leads off of it, one for running lights and one for brake lights. Not counting black commons and white lead for the plate. Hooked it up and the running light part is fine,my signals still work as brake lights and signals,but I can't get the LED brake light to illuminate, and now the signals have to be turned off manually after turns. And now I have no voltage on the brake lead coming from the brake switch. What did I do??? Help please...