Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Wiring Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:29 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Wiring Help Needed!

I'm replacing my Fat Bob rear fender with a Wide Glide Chopped Fender. In an effort not to be a complete newb poser, I want to do this myself. I'm OK with all the mechanical stuff, but could use some help with the wiring.

The Fat Bob has a curcuit block inside tail light fixture that I lose when going to the chopped fender. So, I need to create a pigtail to make the connections to the lights. Will use an 8 pin connectors on one end and several of the appropriate pin connectors on the other end. I'm trying to figure out what wire gets connected to where.

I want to :
- wire the stock turn signals
- add the LED run/stop chopped fender tail light
- use LED bolt lights to illuminate the side mount license plate
- wire a 12v cigarette lighter plug to power a GPS off the ACC lead

I planned to use the same wire (#7 blue wire) to power both the running light and license plate LEDs as they all draw little power. Was also planning on wiring the license plate LED in series so I only need one hot wire coming from the connector/pigtail.

I know I can also do the following:
- add a switch to turn the ACC power to the lighter on/off
- add a switch to turn licnese plate bolt lights on/off
- add a run/turn stop module to convert the turn signals to running/brake lights too
- use a load balancer if I want to use LED turn signals instead of teh stock bulbs

The attached picture is how I am planning to connect stuff. I also attached the wiring diagram leading up to the rear harness for reference.

Could someone tell me:

1) If this is a correct way to wire things?
2) Where I might be able to purchase the right plastic connectors? Can I get them from my local dealer?
3) Any other tips that I could use. I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Wiring Help Needed!-harley-rear-wiring-plan.jpg   Wiring Help Needed!-2008-fxdwg-fxdc-fxdf-lights-page-1-of-2-copy.jpg  
Old 05-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Dallas 13
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would get a connector from the dealer to mate with the one under the seat and custom fit the wires to the application. Check or buy the parts manual for your bike. Be sure to protect them from anything that moves.
Your plan looks pretty solid. Document everything - use separate wire colors where you can, label what you need to, and again, document everything for future reference.
You don't need a switch for the bolt lights; most states require those lights on at all times - and you have plenty of power on that circuit.
If you can, solder your connections and use heat-shrink tubing for protection.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:31 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain

Thanks, Dallas

Old 05-23-2011, 06:12 PM
10-4 10-4
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be your suggestions for my situation.... I have a 2011 SG and just purchased a Russ wernimont license plate frame with the turn/brake/run lights... Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-27-2015, 10:58 AM
09 fatjoe
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done the same, as far as swapping out the rear fender. You mentioned the Harley Module. How did you wire it?

I connected the turn signals with their respective two wires, which left the Red/Yellow, Blue, and Orange/White wires. The orange being auxilary, I don't have anything connected to it - currently. I connected my sissy bar light to the Red/Yellow and license plate light to the blue. Ok, here is where the question begins....

The brake lights are always on. I squeeze my levers or push the peddle and there is no distinction between run and brake, they are always brake. Any suggestions as to what I am missing or have done wrong would be greatly appreciated.

OOPS, just noticed this is an OLD thread....hopefully someone knows the answer..

Last edited by 09 fatjoe; 04-27-2015 at 11:56 AM. Reason: old thread
Old 04-30-2015, 01:21 PM
billburke
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition switch

I have replaced the dash and the Ignition switch was a 6 prong and I am putting a round 3 prong switch. The Issue is Circuit breakers I do not know how to wire it in. Someone re-wired it and does not match my 97-98 Harley service manual. I live in a small town with the closest dealer or decent mech is 240 miles away. I Just purchased this last fall and only got to ride it once

Thanks Bill

Old 05-15-2015, 01:56 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain

Fatjoe - I just saw this and responded to your PM.

Bill - I'm not sure I can be much help. Sorry, sir.