Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

No O2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:14 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by prerender
I have a 2015 Dyna StreetBob, its all stock except the V&H straight shot slip ons (no controller, no air filter). My o2 sensor got damaged and started triggering error codes (VINERR) so the dealer disconnected it and told me to ride without the O2 sensor.

He said I didn't needed it that much. How accurate is this? Should I try to get that sensor fixed or keep riding without it? By the way the exhaust sound changed significantly and I am getting a lot less popping now..
It might be time to find another dealer. That bike is designed to run with the O2 sensors, and as you have seen, the mapping has changed. It sounds like it got richer.

I can't imagine why the dealer didn't just replace the sensor (or wiring...whichever caused the error) I'm pretty sure it would have been covered by warranty, and even if it wasn't the sensors aren't that expensive.
Worst case...Just replace it yourself and reconnect the wires.

I'm reasonably sure that HD wouldn't support that decision...and I know the EPA would take serious offense.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:58 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Actually Im wondering what dealer that is because I want to shake their hand and say thanks for being so honest about it.

And no, the bike is not designed to run with O2 sensors. It's designed to occasionally use O2 sensors as a feedback mechanism to tell the ECM what the AFR is during certain circumstances, like constant throttle cruise. Granded that's MOST of the time your bike is being used, but in the grand scheme of throttle positions it's a small pie slice of application. If you think about it, his 2015 Dyna ignores the O2 sensors when the bike is cold, and whenever he is not at constant throttle.