Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

total electric power outage

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 01:36 PM
ROMPUS
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default total electric power outage

2005 cvo fat boy nothing electrical has been added, main breaker was replaced with a 40 amp fuse some time ago,battery is good and passed a load test,it is not blowing any fuses and is throwing no codes.I installed a Dakota digital volt guage and it always shows around 13.5/14.00 volts when going down the road and that has remained the same.Bike runs great but has put me on the side of the road twice in the last week and I aint going anywhere on it until I figure this out.Sad because I ride it if it aint raining and I miss it.Power will go out as tho the switch has been turned off.switching switch and bumping switch does nothing.After 15/30 minutes all of a sudden you have power again.I have it in my shop with seat and fuel tank off checking it out.have taken the ignition switch apart and cleaned it, removed both battery cables to inspect them,removed and inspected the power cable that goes from lug on the starter to the main fuse where the circuit breaker use to be.While the power was off I did jog the kill switch on the right side handle bar and got nothing.Only other suspect that I can think of is the bank angle sensor but seams like that would throw a code if it was the cause.Anything else I should check? I know it could be the wire harness,but not going to dig into that yet.Anything else I should be aware of? THANKS! I got to ride again soon.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Little T
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried wiggling your ignition switch while powered? I have seen ignition switches on softails have issues with the contacts. Try wiggling and lifting it up while powered and see if the lights flicker.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:20 PM
ROMPUS
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sending me something,but I have tried to get it to act up by doing what you said and could not get it to act up.also turned the switch on after I removed the seat and tank and wiggled the wireing around trying to get the power to go out but could not.