Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Key Fob Security System - Problem Trend Watch

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 AM
RickO
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: After my original postings, I have not had this happen since. Curious. Still don't know why, never found a root cause but just looking at the new input here, i wanted to update.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:04 AM
cyber7
Intermediate

Ok, this is 2 years later, but I had an cr@ppy experience:

I added a Joker air filter kit and a Dyno electronics on my HD 48 (2012). The kit was quite easy to install, but shortly afterwards I started getting backfires and engine misses. After thinking this was my conversion I added. It is also winter in South Africa, so I thought it was the cold... The Alarm started giving problems. (I now know the procedure to start without alarm)

FIXED:
Over the weekend I finally decided to use my spare FOB and WOW!!! Engine idles without missing and the entire system is like it never was. The alarm is also sorted!

Conclusion:
I think the FOB communicates with the electronics and causes all kinds of problems when the battery becomes flat...

cyber7-out
(aka Aubrey Kloppers, Cape Town, South Africa)

Old 07-30-2014, 10:15 PM
Cooter383
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man I had a similar issue. Have a 2007 Ultra Classic. I was setting out on a trip and stopped to check something in my bags. Got back on and alarm going off and no start. Called a friend tonbringbmy spare FOB, no joy. Went off and changed batteries but still nadda. Called for a tow with the alarm going the whole time. Got it home, rolled it off into the garage nwith no noise. Tried it again and started right up. AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH. I didn't have the codes but have them now.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:51 AM
Bkrazy
Cruiser

I am having this issue. It has worked intermittently for weeks. No worries though, it cut on after the first or second cycle, low battery. Got ready to head to work this morning, wouldnt start. Got my other fob wouldnt start. This is on a 12 RGU and its 2015, so hey maybe need a new battery. I happen to have some because this happened to one of my Brothers and he made sure he gave everyone extra batteries to carry so we wouldnt get stranded like he did. Nope, new battery didnt work. I do know my pin and that is what I used. Next time I get to the stealership I will see if they know whats up. This should be covered under warranty correct?

Old 06-27-2017, 05:55 AM
csedgeman
Stage II

I have the same problem with my 2015 limited. 100 percent its not the batteries in my fob even put the receiver back in the right location it was laying right on top in front of the battery. very close to were it is suppose to be slide on the tab where it is designed to fit. But still does it 2 out of ten times I try to start it. I never move my bike till I can get it to pick up the signal so my alarm doesn't go off take like 2 min always start but takes a few min. in different location this happens also. cell phone is in the trunk. a lot of guys here talk about this but no one has ever had a fix. I love my bike but hate that it does this.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:31 PM
94 ultra
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I better update my batteries

Old 08-25-2023, 11:19 PM
djayj10@gmail.com
Stage I
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by RickO
The purpose of this topic is for awareness and to identify any trend this community may be aware of.

I have a '11 Road Glide with key fob security. One day I pulled up to the service door at my local HD shop to schedule some work. Appointment made, I walked out, got on the bike and the alarm went off, (directionals wagging.) The bike wouldn't start, the bike would not come off the security system. Tried 5 times, no luck. Put a new battery in the fob, no luck. A mechanic heard what was up while I was at the desk, took the keys, walked out, the bike started. Huh? What the...?

Thinking this sucked because now I'm faced with an intermittent failure and saying as much, another mechanic grabs the keys and fob, walks out and tries to start the bike. Won't start. Out of a total of 12 tries, it started once.

That was on a Wednesday afternoon. Between then and Saturday, this happened to 7 more bikes. This is not limited to just '11s.

Local HD shop said it only happens just outside their customer service door. Push the bike twenty feet forward and it will start. This by itself may be true but it is NOT only happening at that specific location. It has happened to me twice since then however it a slightly different way.

Approach bike, hop on and stand it up, the alarm goes off. (Oh crud.) The difference here is I turn the ignition on and the bike will start. So it failed for a brief moment however the bike would start. Since I've taken the little card with the instructions to turn the security off using the directionals to enter your pin and keep it in my wallet.

To this community. Be aware. I'm not sure if this is happening in other areas. Also, if you hear of this happening, post to this topic so we will have geographic data.

RickO
im in Calgary Alberta and this same problem happens at my brother's house only if i park.on the otherside of the road at his house I'm convinced that someone in the house I park in front of my alarm wags tue signal lights back.and forth.. when we push it to the there side of the road it starts no problem.
I don't park on that side of the road any more and I don't have any further issues at all soo far... till I find another spot that gives me grief ... I think it's a wifi booster for 5G

Old 08-26-2023, 07:16 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,599 Likes on 5,169 Posts

Mischlers HD before being shut down y HD. There was a spot at the service entrance door where bikes would not start.

Move them a couple feet and start right up. They always figured it was cause by security system.