Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Key Fob Security System - Problem Trend Watch

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 01:31 PM
RickO
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Key Fob Security System - Problem Trend Watch

The purpose of this topic is for awareness and to identify any trend this community may be aware of.

I have a '11 Road Glide with key fob security. One day I pulled up to the service door at my local HD shop to schedule some work. Appointment made, I walked out, got on the bike and the alarm went off, (directionals wagging.) The bike wouldn't start, the bike would not come off the security system. Tried 5 times, no luck. Put a new battery in the fob, no luck. A mechanic heard what was up while I was at the desk, took the keys, walked out, the bike started. Huh? What the...?

Thinking this sucked because now I'm faced with an intermittent failure and saying as much, another mechanic grabs the keys and fob, walks out and tries to start the bike. Won't start. Out of a total of 12 tries, it started once.

That was on a Wednesday afternoon. Between then and Saturday, this happened to 7 more bikes. This is not limited to just '11s.

Local HD shop said it only happens just outside their customer service door. Push the bike twenty feet forward and it will start. This by itself may be true but it is NOT only happening at that specific location. It has happened to me twice since then however it a slightly different way.

Approach bike, hop on and stand it up, the alarm goes off. (Oh crud.) The difference here is I turn the ignition on and the bike will start. So it failed for a brief moment however the bike would start. Since I've taken the little card with the instructions to turn the security off using the directionals to enter your pin and keep it in my wallet.

To this community. Be aware. I'm not sure if this is happening in other areas. Also, if you hear of this happening, post to this topic so we will have geographic data.

RickO

Old 07-08-2011, 12:08 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Antenna.

Been there done that on a 10.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Approach bike, hop on and stand it up, the alarm goes off. (Oh crud.) The difference here is I turn the ignition on and the bike will start. So it failed for a brief moment however the bike would start.
see this all the time, I just figure that it just took a second for it to recognize the FOB. I keep the card handy, but truth be known, i have started my bike like this so much i dont need the card, set my own pin and use it often.
Have you tried your spare FOB to see if it works better? and like was posted above, the Antenna may not be picking up from where its located very well.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:05 PM
RickO
Intermediate

Tried both fobs. One with a new battery. Placing the fob on the seat didn't even work while at the HD shop. HD has a problem so we have a problem as well. Their quick (i would assume low level tech) reply from corporate was it's interference.

Negative. It's the design that may be susceptible to interference.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:31 PM
kymf
Stage I

08 Road King, fob's worked well until I changed the batteries this week after 3 years, now I have alarms going off, it doesn't happen all the time and phones towers or radio towers don't seem to make a difference!

Old 11-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Dragan1
2nd Gear

Ive been thinking of getting factory HD security installed but now will look alternative security, your info has helped, Thanks!

Old 11-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I am not being a smartass, but I am wondering why they went away from the fob that you click on? On my '03 I never have any problems with interference. You click to arm and double click to disarm.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:22 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I am not being a smartass, but I am wondering why they went away from the fob that you click on? On my '03 I never have any problems with interference. You click to arm and double click to disarm.
Have to agree with you but I would say they wanted to make it easier so you can just hop on without looking for the fob. I heard of issues with it and thats why I don't have one on mine

Old 11-20-2011, 09:14 AM
tanglefootrgu
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only issue I have had with my FOB is that when it is in my pocket with my cell phone, it don't work. I was 175 miles from home & my Bro that I was riding with asked if the FOB was in the same pocket as my cell phone. Put my cell phone in another pocket, bike started right up.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:54 AM
RickO
Intermediate

Update: After being a problem at first, (multiple failures) the security/FOB problem slowed down to a crawl. If it weren't for the fact that I/we do not have to actually do anything to un-arm, I'd blame the rum'n'cokes from the night before. Point here is, I do believe the problem is still here, but it hasn't happened as often.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Security System - Problem Trend Watch