Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Melted battery terminal

Old 09-16-2011, 07:06 PM
jkottke58
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Melted battery terminal

I was trying to start my 82 FXRS and it made funny sounds but didn't turn over. Then it would turn over and start. Today it mostly made sounds like something was getting crunched. Then I smelled my battery. Open the seat and the post melted. That was after only 6-8 times of trying to start it. I took out the starter and solenoid. The wiring looks ok. The starter looked fine too. I checked the solenoid with jump wires to my truck battery and only got a spark no clicking sound. Will a bad solenoid melt a battery? Or do I have a short some place else?

Now it's been 13 days and I replaced the solenoid, starter relay, rebuilt the starter, replace starter switch, replaced kill switch. Then I had starter run on. I checked everything and it seem to look fine. Took off the primary and the actuator arm was not in the right place. Can they fall out of the actuator ring? I put it back in place and it started right up. One of the reasons I ride a shovelhead is the simple mechanic of the bike and they sound old skool.

I reinstalled the old solenoid just to see if it the new one might be the problem. I installed a new solenoid before I knew the starter had gone south. I keep the new solenoid installed. Once I switched the solenoids the bike started right up. I don't know if the solenoid was bad when I got it or if it went bad because the actuator arm was not in the actuator ring. Which cause it to stay on, maybe welding the contacts. Anyway I'm back in the wind.

Last edited by jkottke58; 10-03-2011 at 07:02 AM.