Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Still missin' after fuel line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:40 PM
josh_m_0509
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still missin' after fuel line replacement

Guys,

I had the trademark pin-holes in my EFI in-tank lines awhile back, and replaced them all recently. I made sure to use the gates H209 submersible/pressure rated fuel line and got a new plastic line/check valve from harley. I put all of this stuff in, and the bike is still running like crap. I know for sure that the old lines were bad, as there were obvious holes in the fuel hose. I have EFI hose clamps on the rubber hose (between pump and pressure regulator), and a worm clamp on the new plastic fuel line/fuel pressure regulator connection, since I doubt the EFI ones would seal any better since its plastic-on-plastic. I cranked the clamps down good, along with all the other clamps, so i really doubt im still losing fuel pressure, although I havent tested it yet.

Bike: 04 standard softail, VH straightshots, PCIII, stage I kit.

Is there any reason why something else (non-fuel pressure related) would be causing my misfiring now? Could my previous problems of loss of fuel pressure cause any other component to fail? Anyone know what harley charges for a pressure test?

Im at my wits end here with this damn thing!!

Old 09-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

I assume since you saw the defective line it was bad. However lots of people misunderstand the circulation in the tank as a leak when it's just the pressure relief letting the excess return since the pump maintains a steady 50-60 psi (not sure exact with out manual in front of me). That way there is fuel for idle or 5500rpm. One of the first signs of low presure from either filter stopage or a cracked line or fitting in pressure side is a lack of idle control. I do not believe your mis is caused by this. Worm clamps usually unless the fittings are heavy and hose thick are not suted for this application.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-22-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:34 PM
josh_m_0509
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worm clamps usually unless the fittings are heavy and hose thick are not suted for this application.
So you are saying i shouldnt have used the worm clamp on the outlet of the fuel pressure regulator? I figured it would be fine, since it is a fairly tight seal between the fuel hose and the barb... what sort of clamp would be best for the connection between the plastic hose and plastic barb of the pressure regulator?