Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Screaming Eagle Race Tuner vs. USB III Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:07 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
The Power Vision does NOT have more features than the present day equivalents. SERT if for OLD bikes, but SEPST and TTS are equal or BETTER than power vision, kind of depends on what you wish to do and how much effort you are willing to put forth.

TTS AND Power Vision CAN both be made to be used on multiple bikes. Either tuner will cost $200 for that second bike.

NONE of this helps the OP, just clarifying a thing or three.

OP... with YOUR bike (nice BTW), using a PC3 is fine. They crap out completely once in a great while, but that won't completely strand you, as you can lift the seat (or side panel) and simply unlpug the PC3 and run straight ECM for a bit to get you somewhere safe. I, myself, would stick with the PC3, as your bike is too old for 'self tuning' flash tuners anyways. A good SERT (as opposed to a SEST or SEPST sold now a days) would work fine and about any tuner could dial that in if desired.
The power Vision can hold up to six differn't MAPs, gives you the ability to change MAPs without a computer, gives you a screen to veiw real time data such as front and real A/F, will tell you instantanious MPG, has 2 seperate trip meters that will tell you info such as how much fuel was used in that trip and a ton more stuff that is not currently offered by any of the other tuners on the market. It has the ability to extract any MAP that is currently on the ECM (even the stock MAP) and edit it. I personally ditched my SERT in favor of the Vision. There is alot of Beta testing we are doing that will be coming out in the future as well.

We were really happy with the TTS, been using it for years. but with them not having it available for most of this year it forced alot of dealers to find another product to use while we were waiting for TTS to catch up. I spoke with the VP of DynoJet (Dan) at the V-Twin expo in Cincinatti last winter and decided to give the Vision a shot, i'm very happy that we did because we really like this tuner. We just got a batch of the new TTS's in this past week and I am in the middle of my first tune with it, I should finish it up Tues. It's every bit as good as the older version. The one upgrade I was hoping that TTS would've brought to the table was the ability to save the original MAP to the VCI, which you still can't do. So if a person is on the road with his/her bike and has a problem and needs digital tech, they would have to put the stock MAP back into the ECM before digital tech will work with some features.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:21 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
The power Vision can hold up to six differn't MAPs, gives you the ability to change MAPs without a computer, gives you a screen to veiw real time data such as front and real A/F, will tell you instantanious MPG, has 2 seperate trip meters that will tell you info such as how much fuel was used in that trip and a ton more stuff that is not currently offered by any of the other tuners on the market. It has the ability to extract any MAP that is currently on the ECM (even the stock MAP) and edit it. I personally ditched my SERT in favor of the Vision. There is alot of Beta testing we are doing that will be coming out in the future as well.

We were really happy with the TTS, been using it for years. but with them not having it available for most of this year it forced alot of dealers to find another product to use while we were waiting for TTS to catch up. I spoke with the VP of DynoJet (Dan) at the V-Twin expo in Cincinatti last winter and decided to give the Vision a shot, i'm very happy that we did because we really like this tuner. We just got a batch of the new TTS's in this past week and I am in the middle of my first tune with it, I should finish it up Tues. It's every bit as good as the older version. The one upgrade I was hoping that TTS would've brought to the table was the ability to save the original MAP to the VCI, which you still can't do. So if a person is on the road with his/her bike and has a problem and needs digital tech, they would have to put the stock MAP back into the ECM before digital tech will work with some features.
You didn't have to do ANYTHING, the original MTE is already in the VCI, just plug it into a laptop and look as the TTS2 does this ALL automatically. I do NOT think that will help a stranded biker, tho. Still need a laptop to shoot the MTE back into the bike. The Drew tuner has the better method here, hands down! I'm NOT sold on the DREW tuner (you DO know DJ does NOT make this thing, right?), yet. The first go around we found that the Vision outputted erroneous info while datalogging. Maybe this version fixed this? and until it IS proven to me that it is, indeed, fixed... how can I say I like it?

And... HOW do you tune with the Vision? Closed loop? How do you fill your histograms for all of the data? That little screen? Some other method? I'm way way curious.

When TTS 2.1 hits next year, there will be a couple analog inputs on it. 0-5vdc. Once THAT hits I WILL be buying that TTS tuner, even though I personally have a two bike right now, because I will be able to do datamaster with EGTs, or some LM1 wide bands, etc, and have that ALL show up on the trace. Speaking of traces, don't you guys, when you tune, use the datamaster screen to check timing etc? On the TTS layout, you can drill down onto multiple traces to almost frame by frame, tell me again how the Vision and DJ software does that? Oh, that's right... it doesn't.

How about cold engines, don't you worry about cold start or do you guys take a warm bike, tune it, and kick it out the same day? How does THAT adjust all of your cold start tables? Oh, thats right... there are NO cold start tables in the Vision. IAC steps, crank to run steps, and now IAT offsets? Where on the Vision are those? I feel most DIYers may or may not care, but someone who tunes everyday? You don't miss the things that can differentiate a good tune from a great tune?

I know you don't run the show there and are a decent tuner to boot (I am from Ohio), but because you had to switch, dont fall in love with the Vision quite yet. Some of the bugs they have going have already been worked over in the TTS and has been a done deal for years. Vision misses the mark on the things that are missing, and when the "new" again VCI comes out with inputs for YOUR devices, the TTS will be light years ahead. Think about EGTs. That is VERY important and we ALL have blown it off because there have been no real way to put the traces together. Think it does not matter? Ask any aircraft mechanic about EGTs and engine performance... you know... the "OTHER' air cooled engines that are all over the place. I have some EGTs AND LM1s just waiting. Being able to sniff the bike in closed loop with independent O2s, while riding while the bike IS IN closed loop will be such a help, don't you think? Be BETTER than the DJ sniffer, because it will be ON your trace along with the rest of the stuff... like commanded AFR! That one thing, by itself, will answer if closed loop is REALLY outputting the AFRs how you THINK they should be... or not. It IS all about the data traces and how one can (or can NOT) view them. I, myself, want to SEE the actual data and NOT let software make decisions for me, ya know?

Just think a few things through...

I feel most guys on HDF will find the Vision to be a really nice tuner. It makes a lot of the decisions, etc. AND the customers WILL be happy. The DIY customers, that is. Paying for a tune is a whole nother matter completely. When I PAY for a dyno tune, I want EVERYTHING adjusted perfectly as can be. The DIY guys will be happy with what they have, because most of the bikes are really Stage 1s and the owners will NOT have ridden their bikes 100% tuned, so they do NOT know what they are missing. When I pay for a tune, tho, I really want NOTHING missing from the tune...........

Last edited by wurk_truk; 09-23-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:20 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

You didn't have to do ANYTHING, the original MTE is already in the VCI, just plug it into a laptop and look as the TTS2 does this ALL automatically. I do NOT think that will help a stranded biker, tho. Still need a laptop to shoot the MTE back into the bike. The Drew tuner has the better method here, hands down! I'm NOT sold on the DREW tuner (you DO know DJ does NOT make this thing, right?), yet. The first go around we found that the Vision outputted erroneous info while datalogging. Maybe this version fixed this? and until it IS proven to me that it is, indeed, fixed... how can I say I like it?
I'm not so sure the MTE is saved to the VCI, from the way Steve Cole explained it the TTS2 will save the MTE automatically to the computer, not the VCI. I am in the habit of saving the MTE to the Computer anyways.

And... HOW do you tune with the Vision? Closed loop? How do you fill your histograms for all of the data? That little screen? Some other method? I'm way way curious.
We use WinPV software to tune the Vision. I set the AFR to all open loop (13.0:1) and tune just like I would the SERT, SEPST or the TTS. When I finish calibrating I set the AFR tables where I want them, closed loop in cruising and open loop in higher load ranges. Again, same as I do with any othere flashed based tuner. We make the adjustments with the WinPV software then upload it to the Vision, then send the MAP from the Vision to the ECM. We use the screen for real time data while we are tuning, we read the TP's, MAP load, ET, and whatever else from the vision. I like this method because I don't have to have another program open and running.

When TTS 2.1 hits next year, there will be a couple analog inputs on it. 0-5vdc. Once THAT hits I WILL be buying that TTS tuner, even though I personally have a two bike right now, because I will be able to do datamaster with EGTs, or some LM1 wide bands, etc, and have that ALL show up on the trace. Speaking of traces, don't you guys, when you tune, use the datamaster screen to check timing etc? On the TTS layout, you can drill down onto multiple traces to almost frame by frame, tell me again how the Vision and DJ software does that? Oh, that's right... it doesn't.
Again, we don't have to run datamaster, we can get all realtime data right from the Vision, we can also log the realtime data and extract it from the vision to reveiw. I went on a 40 mile test ride last week and recorded the whole ride and I still had 88% memory laft to record to.

How about cold engines, don't you worry about cold start or do you guys take a warm bike, tune it, and kick it out the same day? How does THAT adjust all of your cold start tables? Oh, thats right... there are NO cold start tables in the Vision. IAC steps, crank to run steps, and now IAT offsets? Where on the Vision are those? I feel most DIYers may or may not care, but someone who tunes everyday? You don't miss the things that can differentiate a good tune from a great tune?
The WinPV has a idle IAC table, a cranking fuel table, and IAT offsets. YES, we can tune cold start issues. Our shop has a bike for a minimum of 3 days, there are 2 of us that tune. We verify each others tune. i.e. if I tune a bike today, Scott will check the cold idle and ride it tomorrow and critiseze anything he finds, and vice versa. this method has worked very well for our shop.

Being able to sniff the bike in closed loop with independent O2s, while riding while the bike IS IN closed loop will be such a help, don't you think? Be BETTER than the DJ sniffer, because it will be ON your trace along with the rest of the stuff... like commanded AFR! That one thing, by itself, will answer if closed loop is REALLY outputting the AFRs how you THINK they should be... or not. It IS all about the data traces and how one can (or can NOT) view them. I, myself, want to SEE the actual data and NOT let software make decisions for me, ya know?
Funny, you can run 2 sets of o2 sensores with the vision. you can leave the narrow band o2 sensors in to work with the ECM in closed loop, you can also use the autotune kit with wide band sensors and read real time AF in each cylinder while you are riding. You can also read the MAP load, and the TP or Kpa and spark data on the go as well as a ton of other stuff. Heck, you can even see your real time fuel economy on the go as well.

It sounds like you are basing your opinion on something you don't have experience with. I've tuned pretty much every tuner on the market and base my opinion on my experiences. We will continue to use and stock the TTS as well as the Vision. We were extrememly happy with the Vision untill it wasn't available to us. At last count (a few weeks ago) we tuned 214 bikes so far this year. Probably 5 - 10 more since then. Out of them I would estimate 30 or so purchased a tuner, last winter TTS said the TTS2 would be available in the end of MAY, I spoke with Steve Cole at the V-Twin expo in Cinci and that's what he said. The release date kept geting pushed back so we were forced to look elsewhere.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:21 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree on the deal with TTS completely, and KNOW why you switched. I don't articulate well enough to get some points across about this.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I have used the Power Commander USB III and IMO consider it to be a better choice than the SE Tuner. The USB III is a Piggy Back unit that adds fuel to your bike as you program. So your RK is already mapped by Harley and the USB simply adds more duel wher you map it. The benefir for me is that I can do any modifications I want without visiting the dealership. Your 2000 RK uses the Magnetti Morelli fuel injection system which preceded the Delphi system. If your bike is running good, should consider leaving well enough alone until your next upgrade.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:21 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

I know you don't run the show there and are a decent tuner to boot (I am from Ohio), but because you had to switch, dont fall in love with the Vision quite yet. Some of the bugs they have going have already been worked over in the TTS and has been a done deal for years. Vision misses the mark on the things that are missing, and when the "new" again VCI comes out with inputs for YOUR devices, the TTS will be light years ahead. Think about EGTs. That is VERY important and we ALL have blown it off because there have been no real way to put the traces together. Think it does not matter? Ask any aircraft mechanic about EGTs and engine performance... you know... the "OTHER' air cooled engines that are all over the place. I have some EGTs AND LM1s just waiting. Being able to sniff the bike in closed loop with independent O2s, while riding while the bike IS IN closed loop will be such a help, don't you think? Be BETTER than the DJ sniffer, because it will be ON your trace along with the rest of the stuff... like commanded AFR! That one thing, by itself, will answer if closed loop is REALLY outputting the AFRs how you THINK they should be... or not. It IS all about the data traces and how one can (or can NOT) view them. I, myself, want to SEE the actual data and NOT let software make decisions for me, ya know?

Just think a few things through...

I feel most guys on HDF will find the Vision to be a really nice tuner. It makes a lot of the decisions, etc. AND the customers WILL be happy. The DIY customers, that is. Paying for a tune is a whole nother matter completely. When I PAY for a dyno tune, I want EVERYTHING adjusted perfectly as can be. The DIY guys will be happy with what they have, because most of the bikes are really Stage 1s and the owners will NOT have ridden their bikes 100% tuned, so they do NOT know what they are missing. When I pay for a tune, tho, I really want NOTHING missing from the tune...........
There is so much incorrect info in your post regarding Power Vision I do not really know where to start. I have seen your posts on a few forums now with these same statements, if you truly want to know how Power Vision works and it features you are welcome to contact me at 920-423-3309 and I would be more than happy to go over these topics with you.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 10-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Ruziska
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am leaning toward the Powervision myself. Currently I only have Rush slip ons, but have some decel pop that I'd like to clear up. I plan to add a new intake in the next few months. Will the PV handle all new upgrades for my 2012 FXDC?

Old 12-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Denman0621
Intermediate
Default Yup!

My bike was one of the ones you tuned last September (chrome yellow 2011 Fatboy) and used the powervision. Awesome tuner, outstanding tune!

It seems like it (the powervisoin) has gotten quite bit if pub. I don't recall anyone (except the guy on here) having a bad word to say about it.

I guess, at the end of the day, use the equipment the guys who are going to dyno your bike prefer. If you prefer equipment they don't like or aren't familiar with, get another dyno shop...

Merry Christmas!

Den

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I'm not so sure the MTE is saved to the VCI, from the way Steve Cole explained it the TTS2 will save the MTE automatically to the computer, not the VCI. I am in the habit of saving the MTE to the Computer anyways.

We use WinPV software to tune the Vision. I set the AFR to all open loop (13.0:1) and tune just like I would the SERT, SEPST or the TTS. When I finish calibrating I set the AFR tables where I want them, closed loop in cruising and open loop in higher load ranges. Again, same as I do with any othere flashed based tuner. We make the adjustments with the WinPV software then upload it to the Vision, then send the MAP from the Vision to the ECM. We use the screen for real time data while we are tuning, we read the TP's, MAP load, ET, and whatever else from the vision. I like this method because I don't have to have another program open and running.

Again, we don't have to run datamaster, we can get all realtime data right from the Vision, we can also log the realtime data and extract it from the vision to reveiw. I went on a 40 mile test ride last week and recorded the whole ride and I still had 88% memory laft to record to.

The WinPV has a idle IAC table, a cranking fuel table, and IAT offsets. YES, we can tune cold start issues. Our shop has a bike for a minimum of 3 days, there are 2 of us that tune. We verify each others tune. i.e. if I tune a bike today, Scott will check the cold idle and ride it tomorrow and critiseze anything he finds, and vice versa. this method has worked very well for our shop.

Funny, you can run 2 sets of o2 sensores with the vision. you can leave the narrow band o2 sensors in to work with the ECM in closed loop, you can also use the autotune kit with wide band sensors and read real time AF in each cylinder while you are riding. You can also read the MAP load, and the TP or Kpa and spark data on the go as well as a ton of other stuff. Heck, you can even see your real time fuel economy on the go as well.

It sounds like you are basing your opinion on something you don't have experience with. I've tuned pretty much every tuner on the market and base my opinion on my experiences. We will continue to use and stock the TTS as well as the Vision. We were extrememly happy with the Vision untill it wasn't available to us. At last count (a few weeks ago) we tuned 214 bikes so far this year. Probably 5 - 10 more since then. Out of them I would estimate 30 or so purchased a tuner, last winter TTS said the TTS2 would be available in the end of MAY, I spoke with Steve Cole at the V-Twin expo in Cinci and that's what he said. The release date kept geting pushed back so we were forced to look elsewhere.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:40 AM
skipp500
Stage IV

I fitted the PCV 12 months ago and a week ago it blew to pieces right under my ***. I was 4 days out of warranty so a replacement was not an option which I am now glad it happened. I had a SERT fitted and the difference is amazing. I have more torque at the bottom end and can definately form an opinion as to what suits my 2012 Fatbob. The proof is in the pudding. My mechanic said I don't need a dyno but if I wan't to spend the $350 and try it it was up to me.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM
mr.nobody
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dicky
Anyone on here able to analyze a power commander 3 map and see if anything obvious is wrong? I get a "dead" spot in my throttle when "holding" a constant speed. If I let off the throttle, no problem, If I give it more, no problem...

i have a 2007 1200xl sportster that does the same thing. my o2 sensors are removed and plugged, and as far as i can tell it just has the ecm(i think flashed becuase the bike has short shot vance and hines pipes and a volasity stack breather on it).

Quick Reply: Screaming Eagle Race Tuner vs. USB III Power Commander