Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2004 FLHRI Road King sputtering/dieing

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:27 AM
ParkerH
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 FLHRI Road King sputtering/dieing

This has been bothering me. I picked up an '04 EFI Road King a couple months ago, I was happy as could be, then a couple weeks later it started sputtering at low speeds. It would'nt idle decent, but if you got on the throttle it was fine. I talked to the dealer's service department and they said the PO had issues with it stalling a while back and they couldnt figure out why. They called HD's and they told them to unplug the MAP sensor... They did and it was fine, then they never heard from the guy until he traded it in. Well the sputtering went away with the next tank of gas so I figured that was it. This past weekend I went for a ride up to Door County, WI with my old man and it started sputtering bad, this time at cruising speed. I got back home and changed out the spark plugs, took it for a ride and it was running fine. I stopped at a stop sign, turned for home and it died, wouldnt start. It would maybe fire once when I would crank it over. So I wound up pushing my big ol' Road King, my pride and joy down the highway. I got it home, let it sit overnight, then it started up again, now its sputtering again. The fuel pump is working properly, there are no DTC codes stored in it, the funny thing is when I checked for spark I would hold the spark plug against the motor and crank it, no spark. But I put plugs back in, cranked it, then it started, so obviously its getting spark. This has got me scratching my head... I had to take my wife out for a ride on the Shovelhead because I just dont trust it right now... Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:27 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be a pin hole in the fuel line inside the tank. Remove the gas cap and look into the tank for bubbles or fuel spray when the pump is running. You may also be able to hear it. Dealer should have put a pressure gauge on the fuel line to check for a leak.

Some times the check valves in the lines can stick closed.

You can also remove the fuel pump assembly and inspect the lines for a small hole.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
ParkerH
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked inside the tank and the line looks fine. When I turned the key on it sprayed fuel out of a port below the fuel line, I'm assuming this is a return for when the lines are up to pressure? Its driving me nuts, I fired it up today and rode around, it seemed fine. The only time it sputtered was when I was getting on the throttle pretty hard...

Old 03-26-2012, 06:52 AM
coastie56
Grand HDF Member

Received 397 Likes on 332 Posts

There should be NO fuel spraying inside tank.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:54 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Also you can't check for spark with a spark plug removed......you need to leave the spark plugs in the bike and use a 3rd plug to check. ECM won't fire coil unless there is compression which is worked out from the crank position signal when it slows down on rotation due to compression. Take the plugs out and bingo no compression

Also as coastie56 said once primed there should be no fuel spraying in the tank so you have a hole in you internal fuel line.