Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2002 FLHRI Has my mechanic and I stumped! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:10 AM
photocycle
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 FLHRI Has my mechanic and I stumped! HELP!

I sure hope there might me a HD tech monitoring this forum 'cause we have a problem we can't seem to solve.
2002 FLHRI 69,000 miles. No tuner.
Here's the deal: Bike has run fine for last 8 years except for a couple of times it ran rough, wouldn't Idle but cleared itself up in a few miles. Then, I started down the onramp to the interstate and just as I merged into traffic, it backfired a couple of times, coughed and started missing. I crossed over the median and limped back home. Pulled the plugs and the front plug was fouled black like too rich. Back plug was ok but too black for normal. I happened to keep last set of old plugs and compared them. Old ones nice and gray/brown color. We checked for an engine code. None. Pulled the tank off and emptied it and cleaned it out. Fresh Shell Premium gas. Now, about every 5th or 6th start-up it won't idle properly. Runs rough, exhaust smells rich, won't set a code. Checked injector wiring. The shop that has the bike is an independent but owned and operated by HD factory trained mechanic. All his mechanics are stumped. They called all the HD shops in our area and none have suggestions. One possibility, Idle Air Control??

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Has anyone else run into this problem?

I sure do need some help. The bike has been down now for two weeks and we are all pulling our hair.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:47 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

I would start with the basics. Check the intake seals to make sure they aren't leaking, then I would run a fuel pressure check with the bike running and check it to see what the fuel pressure does right when you turn the ignition on, without the bike running.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:03 PM
ParkerH
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An issue I had with my '04 was sputtering and missing every now and then, it would idle rough too. The bike never threw out a code or anything. It turned out that the plug going into the coil from the ECM was loose, I took it out tightened up the prongs on the plug, put it back on and it's been running like a champ ever since. That would be something simple to look at, the way I found out was I had it idling and I pushed on the plug and the bike died.