Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Could not disarm system due to siren

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:39 PM
HD_Rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could not disarm system due to siren

Ran into a strange issue today that took me a little while to figure out.

Bike is a 2012 TriGlide with the OEM alarm system. A couple of months ago I installed the Smart Siren II and there have been no problems.

Today, I found myself unable to disarm the alarm system. Whenever I put the ignition switch to "ignition," the siren immediately started blaring as if it didn't recognize the presence of the fob. I repeatedly ltried both fobs (with fresh batteries) as well as the PIN code. I would be able to enter the PIN code but as soon as I entered the fifth digit, the siren would blare.

I finally removed the siren from the bike (all the while blaring away) and removed the 9-volt battery to quiet it.

I then found out that without the siren installed, the alarm system operates normally and I am able to disable the system with both the fob and the PIN code.

I have not yet reinstalled the siren for fear that it would work now only to leave me stranded somewhere later.

Has anyone ever encountered this issue before?

Old 12-11-2011, 01:00 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser

Don't know if you're still having a problem, but I have the same issue with the Smart Siren II on my '07 Fat Boy. For some reason, the alarm sometimes goes off when I go to start the bike and the fob is in my pocket or windshield bag. I'm not sure if the antenna isn't picking up the signal (battery in fob is fresh), or if it's just a tempermental system. It's sometimes a bit embarassing as that siren is friggin' loud!

If you have figured anything out since your last post, let us know.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:10 PM
HD_Rider
Advanced

No, unfortunately, no update. At this time, the siren is just sitting on my workbench with the 9-volt battery removed. I've had no further issues with the bike itself, though I have not ridden much due to the cold.

Come spring time, I'll put the 9-volt battery back in the siren and the siren back in the bike and see what happens.

Pisses me off too since I have the pager as well and I can't use the pager without the siren being installed.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Aborigen2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Siren and the Security System are kind of separate things.

The Siren is just a noise-maker; the Security System (HFSS/ TSSM) is the one controlling the Siren and Disabling/Enabling Starter and Engine operation.

The Siren gets Armed and Disarmed on a signal by the Security System.
If you are getting “Alarm” that could be one of two things – either the Security is not Disarming; or the Siren itself is not disarming.

Here is how you can tell the difference:

When the Siren goes OFF, look at the Turn Signals – if they flash alternately, then the Security System is not disarming.
Same way, while the Siren is going OFF, try to crank the engine – if engine cranks, that means the Security System is Disarmed and the problem is in the Siren circuitry.

CASE 1: Security System does not disarm
- Every now and then the system may fail to disarm on certain locations due to high electromagnetic interference with nearby radio stations/ transmitters. But in all cases you should be able to disarm the system using PIN.
- If your system fails to disarm randomly, no matter what location you are parked at, then verify:
o FOB Battery
o Security Antenna – orientation/ mounting; check connector for corrosion.
o Verify you have not installed some metal components above the Security Antenna (that small black module under the seat)
o Make sure you are not keeping your FOB in one pocket with big metal parts or mobile phone
o If the problem is in the Security Antenna then there will be a code set.

CASE 2: Siren will not disarm:
- Verify your vehicle battery voltage is above 10Vdc
- Unplug the siren and examine the connectors for corrosion
- Pull on the wires of the harness connector to verify the pins are locked in place
- Measure 12V between the Power and GND pins of the Siren
- Check for chaffed/ broken wires to the siren

If everything checks OK then replace the siren

Old 02-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Stella456
5th Gear
Default Could not disarm system due to siren

I installed siren on my 2012trike and have the same problem. The system will disarm properly if the bike is in gear and not in neutral. Read this on a blog and it is true for my bike also. I am sure it is a Harley factory wiring mistake. But I can live with it now that I know to keep the bike in gear.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:45 PM
gwisch
2nd Gear
Default Smart Siren II

Same problem here also. Installed siren on 2012 Triglide. Siren would go off when the ignition was turned on when the bike was in neutral. did some checking and harley is aware of problem and their is a new siren II for the triglide. My dealer contacted harley and they told them that I can exchange my Smart Siren II for the new one under warranty. If you don't, just make sure it is in gear when u turn the ignition on or u will be reminded.