Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Little pissed with my super tuner

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Rmuller
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little pissed with my super tuner

I got a great deal on a 09 fxdb that came with a super tuner. I am doing cams and head work and need to get it re dyno tuned. Problem is my good friend and motorcycle shop owner doesn't tune with the se tuner. I now have to buy a pc v so he can tune it. I feel like this super tuner is a waste.

Question is, can i lay the pc v tune over the se tune thats on my ecm?

Thanks

Old 11-22-2011, 12:34 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If necessary, you use the super tuner to load a standard (OEM) map (tune) onto the ECU and your tuner will take it from there. It may not be necessary as your tuner could just go through the dyno tune steps regardless. Check with him on what he would prefer.

The SE is much more sophisticated than a PCV and a tuner that knows how to use it can get a better running bike overall, but tuning with the PCV is quicker and cheaper and will, in the end, make about the same WOT power.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:27 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

I would find a tuner that tunes the sepst, I know he's your bud and all, but I wouldn't go backwards and spend money just because he doesn't know how to tune it. You should be able to get a good tune for around the same money as the PC. Tell you what, if your bud is interested in learning the SEPST PM me and I will give you my number, he's more than welcome to call me and I'll help as best I can over the phone, if he can tune the PC products he should be able to figure out the SEPST, it's just software. If he already knows the fundementals of tuning it should be a breeze.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Rmuller
Cruiser
Default Thanks HT

[quote=harleytuner;9069365]I would find a tuner that tunes the sepst, I know he's your bud and all, but I wouldn't go backwards and spend money just because he doesn't know how to tune it. You should be able to get a good tune for around the same money as the PC. Tell you what, if your bud is interested in learning the SEPST PM me and I will give you my number, he's more than welcome to call me and I'll help as best I can over the phone, if he can tune the PC products he should be able to figure out the SEPST, it's just software. If he already knows the fundementals of tuning it should be a breeze.[/quot

Do you know if i can lay the pcv on top of my currant sept tune?

I will run it by my tuner, that would be awesome if I could work something out with the sepst. I may just use the pcv to get me by till sturgis. Than have Dr dyno tune my sepst, or another good tuner. Thanks for trying to help.

Thanks

Old 11-25-2011, 10:38 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think your tuner needs to learn the sepst. I was able to learn how to tune my own bike. I also had help from harleytuner. If I had a dyno machine and was skilled at using it, I really could have done a lot more. A person who is in the business of tuning and has a dyno machine, should have no problem tuning the super tuner.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:12 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

[quote=Rmuller;9079427]
Originally Posted by harleytuner
I would find a tuner that tunes the sepst, I know he's your bud and all, but I wouldn't go backwards and spend money just because he doesn't know how to tune it. You should be able to get a good tune for around the same money as the PC. Tell you what, if your bud is interested in learning the SEPST PM me and I will give you my number, he's more than welcome to call me and I'll help as best I can over the phone, if he can tune the PC products he should be able to figure out the SEPST, it's just software. If he already knows the fundementals of tuning it should be a breeze.[/quot

Do you know if i can lay the pcv on top of my currant sept tune?

I will run it by my tuner, that would be awesome if I could work something out with the sepst. I may just use the pcv to get me by till sturgis. Than have Dr dyno tune my sepst, or another good tuner. Thanks for trying to help.

Thanks
Yes you can use your PC in conjunction with your SEPST MAP, just keep this in mind. The PC "canned" MAPs are made over stock MAPs or stage I MAPs, so if you use a PC you will want to start with a "zero" MAP and build off of that. If you use a MAP that is for your setup and you already have a "canned" MAP or a "tuned" MAP with the SEPST you would be running way off.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Rmuller
Cruiser

[quote=harleytuner;9079998]
Originally Posted by Rmuller

Yes you can use your PC in conjunction with your SEPST MAP, just keep this in mind. The PC "canned" MAPs are made over stock MAPs or stage I MAPs, so if you use a PC you will want to start with a "zero" MAP and build off of that. If you use a MAP that is for your setup and you already have a "canned" MAP or a "tuned" MAP with the SEPST you would be running way off.
Ok,

Soon as I put the cams, heads, and pcv on it will sit on a dyno. So I wont be using any canned maps.
I think I am gonna buy the cables and the software for the sepst and start learning it.

Thanks for the help guys!