Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Won't Start, Turn Over, or Nothing.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Lex_Talionis
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Won't Start, Turn Over, or Nothing.

I went riding a couple weeks ago and took a short break. Went to start again and it did not start the first time. I toggled the "Off/Run" switch one time and tried again and it stared just fine. Went home and put it up without much thought. I went to ride the other day and it would not start.

I put key in and turned it on. The lights were bright as always. The bike was in neutral. I turned the "Off/Run" switch to "Run" and when I pressed the "Start" button nothing happended. The bike did not turn over, click, or do anything at all. The headlights were on low and did not dim any. Horn was loud, everything was bright.

I hit the start button several times. I toggled the Off/Run switch several times. I turned the key off and on. I tried starting it with the Off Run swithc on "Off" I put it in and out of neutral, I pulled clutch in. I did everything I could think to do many many times. The battery terminals were tight and clean and to omit the slight possiblilty of it being the battery, I put it on a chager for a few hours. Still the same thing afterwards.

I assume it is either a bad start switch or a bad Off/Run switch. It's a 2008 and stays in the garage and should not be rusty or corroded under the switches; or I would not think it would. It did not get wet last couple times I rode. I only had one warning something was wrong from the last time I rode.

I went by the local Harley dealership and they said it may be a selenoid, relay or something like that which is by the fuse box. He said it was just a few bucks and that I could start off by replacing that cheaply and then go from there. It just pulls out and plugs in. I did some internet research and read some stuff but I don't even know what those parts are or where they are located.

Do you think it is a switch, the wiring in between the switch and the starter, the starter itself, or something else?

If you have an idea what might be causing this issue, please let me know. And if you can offer a little detail, that would be greatly appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
ShrimplySportster (08-10-2023)
Old 11-22-2011, 05:06 PM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser

You mentioned a 2008 but didn't mention what type of HD?

Could be a few things.....starter button, run/stop switch, turn signal module, battery connections (make sure they are "wrench" tight...not just "they don't wiggle" tight), dead battery in key fob if it has a security system, open condition somewhere in the wiring system, corrosion on fuses / relays (washing the bike can get them wet enough) etc etc.

For now I'll assume your 08' is like an 08' sporty and it should have two relays on the fuse block. One relay is the starter relay and the other is the system relay. They are the same part number. Swap the two relays and try the start the bike then. If you turn the ignition "on" and the run/stop switch to "run" and you don't here the fuel pump prime that means the bad relay is now on the system relay which sends power to your fuel pump.

If you try that and still nothing I would find the connector for the right hand controls and unplug them. Get a multimeter and check for continuity through the run/stop switch and the starter button.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:07 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

+1 for relay.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Lex_Talionis
Intermediate

[QUOTE=CosmoKramer;9068852]You mentioned a 2008 but didn't mention what type of HD?

For now I'll assume your 08' is like an 08' sporty and it should have two relays on the fuse block. One relay is the starter relay and the other is the system relay. They are the same part number. Swap the two relays and try the start the bike then. If you turn the ignition "on" and the run/stop switch to "run" and you don't here the fuel pump prime that means the bad relay is now on the system relay which sends power to your fuel pump.

QUOTE]

AWESOME idea with switching the relays. The dealership told me to just buy one (about $6 or so) and eliminate that possibility. I will do a quick change and find out without having to drive out there for nothing. Thanks!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Lex_Talionis
Intermediate

Hey, CosmoKramer. Thanks for the info, but those relays were actually slightly different. Different color and slightly different numbers. The male end of the relays were slightly different too.

I am going to buy another battery for the key fob. I noticed that the securtiy lights keep flashing when I am messing with the bike. I don't remember if they usually do it that much prior to this issue. But I thought the bike would still start, but not run if you did not have the key fob. Maybe I was wrong.