Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Before I Take it to the Shop

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:09 PM
nationalpastime
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before I Take it to the Shop

I have a 96 Road King and lost the key to it after a move. I ended up putting a new ignition switch on it. The other day I was just taking it around the block and ran out of gas. I tried starting it a couple of times and the battery went from ticking (like it's dead) to me having no electrical power whatsoever. So, I was assuming the battery was shot. I get it to my house, put the charger on it until it's charged, pull the charger off and as soon as I bumped the starter switch I lost all electrical power on the bike. I tried jumping it and that didn't work either. I put the charger back on it, tried starting it and it fired like a champ. I let it run after I unhooked the charger, turned it off and went to turn it back on and lost all electrical power again.

I know this is quite a bit to read, but my question is, is the battery completely shot or does it sound like I've shorted something out? I would really like to diagnose what's going on myself before I take my baby to the dealership if it's not the battery.

Thanks

Old 11-22-2011, 03:39 PM
dballew
Novice

Originally Posted by nationalpastime
I have a 96 Road King and lost the key to it after a move. I ended up putting a new ignition switch on it. The other day I was just taking it around the block and ran out of gas. I tried starting it a couple of times and the battery went from ticking (like it's dead) to me having no electrical power whatsoever. So, I was assuming the battery was shot. I get it to my house, put the charger on it until it's charged, pull the charger off and as soon as I bumped the starter switch I lost all electrical power on the bike. I tried jumping it and that didn't work either. I put the charger back on it, tried starting it and it fired like a champ. I let it run after I unhooked the charger, turned it off and went to turn it back on and lost all electrical power again.

I know this is quite a bit to read, but my question is, is the battery completely shot or does it sound like I've shorted something out? I would really like to diagnose what's going on myself before I take my baby to the dealership if it's not the battery.

Thanks
Sound like a dead battery

Old 11-22-2011, 03:52 PM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First I'd charge the battery, have it load tested at half the cold cranking amps of the battery, you should be able to get that done for free at an auto parts store etc... If it passes, I'd look at your cables, make sure they are clean and tight.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:58 PM
nationalpastime
Stage IV

Thanks. That's kinda what I was figuring but I thought I'd ask you guys.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 PM
rdb1976
Road Master

Sounds like dry cells in the battery, so it won't hold a charge anymore. Have AutoZone test it and trade the core in on a new one if it's shot.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:04 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

First thought is dead battery or loose ground!

Old 11-22-2011, 06:17 PM
nationalpastime
Stage IV

The battery's good, terminals are clean and tight. Is there a place you would suggest checking (wiring wise)?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Could be the stator and/or regulator. Put a voltage meter on it and see if it's charging.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:10 AM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Could be the stator and/or regulator. Put a voltage meter on it and see if it's charging.
Yup, once the bike has started, the battery has pretty much done it's job, charging system takes over. Lots of threads on how to diagnose/repair.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 AM
dballew
Novice

Check the wires on the stator and regulator to see if there hot when bike is running if so stator/ regulator is bad. Look at plug for stator on engine casing to make sure its not loose.