Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

electrical gremlins touring

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:52 AM
03ultra45385
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical gremlins touring

03 ultra, 103K mi. Chasing several issues, 2 of them are electrical. One was the rear passenger headphone jack. Left headphone didn't work( finally got them ) although they worked in the driver's jack. After removing the tank ( and finding one of the crossover fittings brazed shut when the tank was made) and. Opening up the audio harness in several spots I found the broken wire in the place where the metal P strap anchors the harness's just ahead of the gas tank. Now we come to the second issue. The cruise control. The set and resume wires were both sending a signal to the control module. On startup I was getting a code that said cruise had shut down for an set signal that lasted to long. In the process of fixing the audio harness the cruise wires cleared there problem. Now that the bike is back together, turn on the ign. With cruise off and the Cruise light "C" comes on solid untill you turn on the cruise switch then it goes out. Cruise won't work. Can't pull trouble codes. The 2 wires from the set/resume switch were still working correctly as I put the side cover and bag back on last. Having worked the other harness I have noticed the small Zipties on all the vinyl sleeves that cover the harness. They are all very tight. I am going to go back into the fairing and start looking at the areas that have the zipties and are subjected to both the movment from steering and vibrations and shock from the lousy roads we have around here. Right now I am just guessing and am open to and welcome to an input.