Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

No power to speedo and tach, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:40 PM
mmitchell
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power to speedo and tach, Help!

Help, "06 FLHTCUI. I have had a "short" in my speedometer and tach for a while, especially at full left lock. The lights in both gauges would blink for a second then come back on. I took the fairing off (actually to repair the vertical brackets that are just outside the radio") and now even with the handle bars straight I have no power to the tach and speedo. The red indicator lights come on but no speedo lights, no tach lights and no tach reading when I crank it. All the rest of the gauge lights work and all small gauges are reading correctly. All gauges are stock. I have checked all fuses, I think and they are ok. I fiddle with the wiring harness and all of the other wires and cannot make it even blink. I'm trying to get ready to ride to Daytona. New rear tire, 3 hole fluid change, etc., etc....I do my own service but electricity is a mystery to me... Can anyone help? Please...

Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Dallas 13
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think what you are looking for is a broken wire. If you have the manual, check the appropriate connector pins for power. If no power, trace back to find a break, or intermediate connector.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:34 PM
mmitchell
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I have wiggled every dang wire under the fairing with no luck. I'm thinking I may need to take the tank off and check the harness under there. I appriciate your reply.