Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Need Dyno tuning for my Thundermax

Old 03-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Craig C.
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Dyno tuning for my Thundermax

Looking for a tuner that can work with my Thundermax on the dyno. I am in Michigan but am willing to travel to find the right person. Anyone know of one in MI, OH, IL, IN area ?
Thanks guys...

Old 03-11-2012, 11:53 AM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Why can't you just pick the closest map from the TMax menu? If you are unsure, call Zippers and they will recommend a map for you. Then, with the wide band O2 sensors, TMax will constantly 'tweak' the map to fine tine itself.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Craig C.
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried that on my last build and the bike never was right. It would spit thru the throttle body, die at idle and always seemed to run way to rich. Was at bike week last year and they (Zippers) spent about an hour tuning it for me. It ran great after that. Completely different setup this time from the last motor. It is running ok, but again, way rich, I tried adjusting it myself but, it is easy to get lost doing it if you don't do it all the time or are not sure what you are doing . Would be much happier have it dialed in by someone who knows what they are doing. I am picky about the way my bike runs because I ride it hard...

Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig C.
I tried that on my last build and the bike never was right. It would spit thru the throttle body, die at idle and always seemed to run way to rich. Was at bike week last year and they (Zippers) spent about an hour tuning it for me. It ran great after that. Completely different setup this time from the last motor. It is running ok, but again, way rich, I tried adjusting it myself but, it is easy to get lost doing it if you don't do it all the time or are not sure what you are doing . Would be much happier have it dialed in by someone who knows what they are doing. I am picky about the way my bike runs because I ride it hard...
Interesting experience.

I know that their s/w is very powerful in terms of what it allows you to go and adjust.
I would be interested in seeing a list of 'experts' published by TMax. My only knock against their product is a lack of simplification of the user interface, or the absence of a user manual aimed at "dummies." I remember when I first set up my TMax, the map recommended resulted in decel pops and not the performance I was looking for. Based on these forums another map was recommended that really worked well for my Dyna. As far as really getting into the s/w and fine tuning the thing, I just don't have the time to get past the learning curve.