Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

IAC problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 PM
CGreasamar
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAC problems?

I originally posted this as a possible speed sensor problem, but now I am not so sure. I originally stated that the turn signals would not cancel in addition to stalling but have not seen that more than a couple times and I have not seen any problems with the speedo. I have been reading about symptoms of a bad IAC and sounds more like my problem now. I have a 03 electra glide injected bike. After riding for 30 or more minutes when I come to a stop the bike will stall sometimes or really low idle then return to normal. I can keep it running if I give a little throttle when stopped. I know when it is going to act up cause the bike will get bad decel popping when I let off the throttle and coast. I am thinking the IAC is loosing its step count while riding for a bit and that's why it only acts up after riding for a while. When it dies at a stop I can always fire it back up and it will idle fine. I want so opinions on this please before I bit the bullet and buy a new IAC. Oh and also No codes have been thrown or stored. Thanks

Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by CGreasamar
I originally posted this as a possible speed sensor problem, but now I am not so sure. I originally stated that the turn signals would not cancel in addition to stalling but have not seen that more than a couple times and I have not seen any problems with the speedo. I have been reading about symptoms of a bad IAC and sounds more like my problem now. I have a 03 electra glide injected bike. After riding for 30 or more minutes when I come to a stop the bike will stall sometimes or really low idle then return to normal. I can keep it running if I give a little throttle when stopped. I know when it is going to act up cause the bike will get bad decel popping when I let off the throttle and coast. I am thinking the IAC is loosing its step count while riding for a bit and that's why it only acts up after riding for a while. When it dies at a stop I can always fire it back up and it will idle fine. I want so opinions on this please before I bit the bullet and buy a new IAC. Oh and also No codes have been thrown or stored. Thanks
Been down this road a few times. Have you tried to clean the IAC. For me its been the TPS. Symptoms were cold high idle and would die at stops after high throttle like getting off of the freeway. Lots of good info in this thread:https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...le-issues.html

Last edited by soft 02; 04-27-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 PM
CGreasamar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by soft 02
Been down this road a few times. Have you tried to clean the IAC. For me its been the TPS. Symptoms were cold high idle and would die at stops after high throttle like getting off of the freeway. Lots of good info in this thread:https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...le-issues.html
Thanks for the quick reply. Forgot to mention I did clean the IAC and got a BUNCH of crap out of it. The idle seems to be fine when cold I will check again tomorrow and maybe try cleaning again. Yes on the high speed for a while and the acting up, that's what she's doing exactly.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:21 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

The TPS is like 28 bucks and two screws. If it were me id change it. Not hard and pretty cheep. Mine never threw a code. Had water in the sensor from riding in the rain with exposed air cleaner.

Listed under electrical-ignition modual-fuel injected item # 12http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....RS-W/-SWITCHES

Last edited by soft 02; 04-27-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 PM
CGreasamar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by soft 02
The TPS is like 28 bucks and two screws. If it were me id change it. Not hard and pretty cheep. Mine never threw a code. Had water in the sensor from riding in the rain with exposed air cleaner.
A Harley part that's 30 bucks! I want to get it just to say I bought a genuine MoCo part for under $100. Seriously though I might pick one up tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. I will update if I replace AND find time to ride it this weekend (I also have an 8 month old baby to spend time with)

Old 04-27-2012, 09:36 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CGreasamar
A Harley part that's 30 bucks! I want to get it just to say I bought a genuine MoCo part for under $100. Seriously though I might pick one up tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. I will update if I replace AND find time to ride it this weekend (I also have an 8 month old baby to spend time with)
There's a few tips when installing it so post if you have questions. Also the same tips are at the end of the thread I linked. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:56 PM
CGreasamar
Intermediate

I replaced the speed sensor and so far it appears to be fixed. Thanks!

Old 06-23-2013, 09:46 AM
AusYeldarb
Stage I

For what it's worth, even though I'm an Aussie, I own a 2012 XL1200C, and within 4 months of buying it and literally riding it off the showroom floor, my bike started 'surging' and misfiring, at any speed and/or rpm below 110km/h (~70m/h)...Took it to several dealers who didn't know wtf was goin on, after havin several months with the bike, total (each dealer and service dept I gave 2 wks).

Finally, in an act of desperation, I took it to the last HD-related service place. Took them literally 30 mins to find and fix the problem...Apparently, the way certain EVO engines are built, the softails "tend to" have faulty Idle Air Controllers, and if you go over any kind of flaw in the road that is of a 'decent' severity, the IAC can become 'jammed' open, and the bike ends up taking in what amounts to 100% air, AS WELL AS the tuned fuel amount, resulting in what is essentially misfiring, until the bike is 'asked' to start consuming s**tloads of fuel i.e. a 2/3->3/3 open throttle.

Bottom line, SPECIFICALLY ASK to get the IAC checked, REGARDLESS of the model...My old man owns a 2010 Rocker 'C' that has no problem, but he also bought a Breakout (NON-CVO) that also had the same problem, after installing stage-1.

It seems that, as long as the bike is stock, the IAC is ok, but ANY exhaust/airflow modification, causes the IAC to lose it completely.

MAKE SURE TO GET YOUR IAC CHECKED, AFTER YOU INSTALL A COMPLETE STAGE-1 MOD!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2018, 09:19 PM
mshred
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AusYeldarb
For what it's worth, even though I'm an Aussie, I own a 2012 XL1200C, and within 4 months of buying it and literally riding it off the showroom floor, my bike started 'surging' and misfiring, at any speed and/or rpm below 110km/h (~70m/h)...Took it to several dealers who didn't know wtf was goin on, after havin several months with the bike, total (each dealer and service dept I gave 2 wks).

Finally, in an act of desperation, I took it to the last HD-related service place. Took them literally 30 mins to find and fix the problem...Apparently, the way certain EVO engines are built, the softails "tend to" have faulty Idle Air Controllers, and if you go over any kind of flaw in the road that is of a 'decent' severity, the IAC can become 'jammed' open, and the bike ends up taking in what amounts to 100% air, AS WELL AS the tuned fuel amount, resulting in what is essentially misfiring, until the bike is 'asked' to start consuming s**tloads of fuel i.e. a 2/3->3/3 open throttle.

Bottom line, SPECIFICALLY ASK to get the IAC checked, REGARDLESS of the model...My old man owns a 2010 Rocker 'C' that has no problem, but he also bought a Breakout (NON-CVO) that also had the same problem, after installing stage-1.

It seems that, as long as the bike is stock, the IAC is ok, but ANY exhaust/airflow modification, causes the IAC to lose it completely.

MAKE SURE TO GET YOUR IAC CHECKED, AFTER YOU INSTALL A COMPLETE STAGE-1 MOD!!!!!!!!!!
im bringing this thread back up from the dead in hopes maybe you can clarify something since I am having the exact same problem on my bike- was the fix changing the IAC?

Old 08-16-2018, 09:21 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Quick Reply: IAC problems?