Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Factory Wiring, New Turn Signals?

Old 05-20-2012, 07:56 PM
crash1369
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory Wiring, New Turn Signals?

Evening gentleman, I want to change the mirrors on my '12 Fat Bob and have been thinking about these with integrated turn signals.

Mirror with Auxiliary Running Light and Directional Indicator - 92068-08A

I see it says their not intended to replace the turn signals but I understand people have done it and it works fine.
My question is, is there any reason I can't just connect these directly to the existing wires for the stock turn signals? They are coming off anyway, that is the whole point after all. I don't want to drill another hole in the controls and would have to pull the turn signal wiring out anyway right, seems like the easiest thing to do would just be use the wires that are already there wouldn't it?

Any thoughts, has anyone done this? It seems kinda silly to pull apart the bike when there will will be unused wires already in place?

Thanks for the help

Old 05-20-2012, 10:13 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have them and they are great, i had them installed and they come with a load equilizer that needs to be hooked up

Old 05-20-2012, 10:25 PM
crash1369
Advanced

Originally Posted by trozenhorse
i have them and they are great, i had them installed and they come with a load equilizer that needs to be hooked up
Thanks, so you don't know the specifics of the install then?
Are you running just the mirrors or are your original turn signals still on as well?

Old 05-21-2012, 05:49 AM
crash1369
Advanced

Bump for the morning... And hopefully some insight?

Bump

Old 05-21-2012, 07:11 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crash1369
Bump for the morning... And hopefully some insight?

Bump
Yeah, I've been trying to get a straight answer on this myself. I have em waiting at home and I want to replace the turn signals/running lights with them. Plenty of folks seem to have done it but none seem to know how.

I think the factory units require two wires and a ground. The new mirrors have a single wire and ground. There is a small unit that goes with the new mirrors that takes the turn signal wire and the running light wire and converts to a single wire. I think,

Old 05-21-2012, 07:22 AM
crash1369
Advanced

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
Yeah, I've been trying to get a straight answer on this myself. I have em waiting at home and I want to replace the turn signals/running lights with them. Plenty of folks seem to have done it but none seem to know how.

I think the factory units require two wires and a ground. The new mirrors have a single wire and ground. There is a small unit that goes with the new mirrors that takes the turn signal wire and the running light wire and converts to a single wire. I think,
You're talking about the adapter harness so that their plug and play right? If you've actually got these things in hand some pictures of the wiring and things would be immensely helpful.
I'm fairly sure the three wires on the factory turn signals are so they operate as running lights and turn signals at the same time. (Plus the ground of course) I was under the impression these mirros worked the same way, I'm standind at the airport now but I thought the description said they were running lights. So they don't have the same three wires coming out then? I suppose I could live with just the turn signals but would really prefer to have both. If that's the case I may have to keep looking for a better solution.

So I assume you haven't taken anything apart on your bike yet then?

Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 AM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im only using the mirrors as the front turn signals, they installed the load equilizer right under the seat, i wish i had more insight but i dont, its one item i personally did not install. the mirrors did come with good instructions.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 AM
crash1369
Advanced

Thanks for the input

Old 05-22-2012, 01:39 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crash1369
You're talking about the adapter harness so that their plug and play right? If you've actually got these things in hand some pictures of the wiring and things would be immensely helpful.
I'm fairly sure the three wires on the factory turn signals are so they operate as running lights and turn signals at the same time. (Plus the ground of course) I was under the impression these mirros worked the same way, I'm standind at the airport now but I thought the description said they were running lights. So they don't have the same three wires coming out then? I suppose I could live with just the turn signals but would really prefer to have both. If that's the case I may have to keep looking for a better solution.

So I assume you haven't taken anything apart on your bike yet then?
If you use these w/out the factory turn signals you will need a load equalizer for sure. I have one from Badlands since I have LED turn signals in the rear.

Ok, there are two small circuits one for each side that have I believe two wires going in and one coming out. I believe these give you the turnsignal/running light effect by changing the brightness of the LEDs. The mirrors AIR have only one wire.

I have looked at the instructions several times and this is what I concluded. However They are at home and I am not, so I can't check further right now.

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 05-22-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 AM
crash1369
Advanced

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
If you use these w/out the factory turn signals you will need a load equalizer for sure. I have one from Badlands since I have LED turn signals in the rear.

Ok, there are two small circuits one for each side that have I believe two wires going in and one coming out. I believe these give you the turnsignal/running light effect by changing the brightness of the LEDs. The mirrors AIR have only one wire.

I have looked at the instructions several times and this is what I concluded. However They are at home and I am not, so I can't check further right now.
Thanks, that makes sense. I wish I could get a look at a set of these in person

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory Wiring, New Turn Signals?