Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCIII Ignition Timing Adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 01:25 PM
F117ewo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII Ignition Timing Adjustments

Hi all,

I've been pretty successful at keeping my 06 FXSTSI running sweet with the PCIII through a series of minor modifications. The PCIII adapts the fuel very well, but is also capable of adjusting the ignition timing.

Has anyone played with ignition timing or posted a map that contained ignition changes? I know a few degrees of ignition advance in the right spot can really help an engine feel alive. I've run 12-16 degrees of ingition advance in a big block Chevy with no pinging. The engine just leaps off the line. I'm going to start playing with the Twin Cam to find out how much ignition advance it will tolerate without pinging, but it would be helpful to see what others have done. Any other curious folks out there???

Jake

Old 01-07-2007, 01:41 PM
scarygt
Road Master
Default RE: PCIII Ignition Timing Adjustments

I'm interested in this topic.... I'll tag along!

Old 01-08-2007, 01:46 AM
WIKIDJESTER
Intermediate

Kool, I'd like to know as well.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:02 AM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

I was sent a map for my 07 to reduce ping with -2 in the low to midrange. I didnt like it, engine didnt feel aggresive at all. Took the timing out and richened the band some. Runs great, pings sometimes on quick throttle roll on. Overall happy!

Old 01-13-2007, 06:15 PM
NARLI
Stage IV

07 Street Glide V&H Oval slip-ons, SE AC and SERT. Trying to get rid of pinging. Learning program. Any advice?

Old 01-13-2007, 07:01 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most canned maps have timing advance only at 100%,most are in the plus 4 range.These bikes before new factory download didnt like added timing in other blocks below 100%.Most required negative to help w/detonation.This is w/FL models.The lighter bikes may get away w/alittle timing advance as long as fuel is top notch.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:14 PM
deadwood1783
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go in to your ignition timing between 1250 rpm to 2500 rpm from 10% throttle to 60% throttle and go ride it. This should help the ping.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:15 PM
deadwood1783
Intermediate

OOOPS put a -4 in these above described fields.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:06 PM
NARLI
Stage IV

Thanks for the reply!
I am working with a custom map and trying to adjust out the ping without retarding too much. I'm in the advanced mode so each cyl is adjusted individually. I don't understand a couple of things 1) the knock sensor is turned on and I'm still hearing pinging. According to what I've read it should retard the timing when detonation is detected. 2) Is there a reason to have different timing for each cyl or should they both be the same?

Old 01-14-2007, 12:02 AM
deadwood1783
Intermediate

If your using PC III, how do you know the knock (ion sense) isturned on? What are you seeing. Ion sense can not be disabled with PC III so it is always active. I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you using SERT? Ion or "knock sense" will activate any time three irregular combustion events are detected and can move the timing up to 15 degrees. So if you are getting ping you have some work to do on your base tune. Each cylinder will be a little different. PC III does a good job but it is obsolete technology. I use both regularly. PC III works good if you have access to a dyno with tuning link. However Tuning Link is just a tool and is only as good as the tuner. SERT lets the computer be the computer and do its own calcalations based on known constants & VE/timing you program in. Dyno runs are only a snapshot in time. One can produce equal results with either product on the Dyno. The kicker is SERT lets the speed density system work unencumbered and takes into account changes in altitude temp etc.and maps accordingly. Hope this is helpful.

Quick Reply: PCIII Ignition Timing Adjustments