Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

power vision question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:05 AM
king04
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power vision question

I have an 04 road king custom with feuling 525 gear driven cams(not 100% as they were installed before I got it) and thunderheader thundcones slip ons. I'm looking at either the power vision or thundermax. My question is does the power vision perform the same "basic" functions as the thundermax since you are actually rewriting the stock ecm? As far as the datalogging goes, Jamie could we send the logs to y'all at Fuel Moto and have our base tunes modified?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:42 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by king04
I have an 04 road king custom with feuling 525 gear driven cams(not 100% as they were installed before I got it) and thunderheader thundcones slip ons. I'm looking at either the power vision or thundermax. My question is does the power vision perform the same "basic" functions as the thundermax since you are actually rewriting the stock ecm? As far as the datalogging goes, Jamie could we send the logs to y'all at Fuel Moto and have our base tunes modified?
T'Max replaces the stock ECM and works as a closed-loop device, and not just in a narrow range like the stock system. It uses wideband sensors and autotunes the entire operating range. I can't comment much beyond this because I haven't worked directly with the T'Max.

PV is a flash-based tuner that comes with a handy display unit for gauges, flashing, and datalogging. With stock NB O2 sensors you can tune the closed-loop area, which is basically the cruise range, but above that in open-loop (e.g. WOT) it can't be self-tuned. The good news is that if Fuel Moto has a tune for your bike and hardware you're good for the open-loop part of the map and you can tweak the closed-loop area if you like. Furthermore, you can buy the AT-100 kit which includes wideband sensors that will allow you to tune the entire operating range in open-loop mode. That's my tuning method and it works very well. If you install both wideband and NB sensors in your exhaust you can tune with the widebands and run closed-loop with the NB sensors, but few go that dual-sensor route.

As for using datalogs for tuning, you can do that yourself with two software programs that come with the PV. It's a multi-step process but once you do it a few times it becomes second-nature. Or, you can send your datalog(s) and value file to Fuel Moto and they'll do it for you, but I would just learn the process and DIY. It isn't hard once you grasp it, and there's an active PV sticky thread in this section you can tap for help when needed.

I think either PV or T'Max are viable options and I would go with whatever your budget dictates and Fuel Moto's recommendation is for your needs.