Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Wye cable for O2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 01:16 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Wye cable for O2 sensors?

I have a 2000 FLH with Magneti Morelli EFI. Currently, I have a PC III piggyback tuner and dual air / fuel gauges in my dash (I had 18mm bungs welded into my head pipes 2" - 3" from the head to accommodate the gauges.)

I purchased a compatible ThunderMax ECM and will be installing it this weekend.

QUESTION 1: Would installing a wye cable for the O2 sensors (so that I can simultaneously feed signal from the sensors to both my new ECM and to my gauges) have a negative impact on the readings seen by my new ECM?

QUESTION 2: Do you know where I could buy such a device?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Z; 09-09-2022 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:27 PM
WS6_Keith
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

Can't "Y" them together. The box that the sensors connect to has a controller that takes their data and turns it into AFR. That controller also modulates the heater circuit of the sensor. There is no way to have one controller run two sensors.

Old 09-09-2022, 01:29 PM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 954 Posts

Thundermax has it's own o2 sensors that plug directly in to the Thundermax ECU and is retained by a set screw. Your PC3 is reading thru your existing ECU to supply the gauges, doesn't come directly from the o2's.

Old 09-09-2022, 02:07 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by WS6_Keith
Can't "Y" them together. The box that the sensors connect to has a controller that takes their data and turns it into AFR. That controller also modulates the heater circuit of the sensor. There is no way to have one controller run two sensors.
I may not have described this correctly. I want to take the output from the front O2 sensor and route it to both my dash gauge and my ThunderMax ECM. I want to do the same with the rear ECM. Does that change your understanding of what I'm trying to do and your answer, or am I not understanding your reply?

Old 09-09-2022, 02:07 PM
WS6_Keith
Cruiser

The PCIII has no air/fuel capability by itself. He must have something else, like a dual channel AutoTune. That would be the only Dynojet product for dual widebands in one box. As for display, I'm guessing a LCD-200? Hard to say since he didn't specify.

Old 09-09-2022, 02:08 PM
WS6_Keith
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Z
I may not have described this correctly. I want to take the output from the front O2 sensor and route it to both my dash gauge and my ThunderMax ECM. I want to do the same with the rear ECM. Does that change your understanding of what I'm trying to do and your answer, or am I not understanding your reply?
Specifically what devices/products do you have that read/display the O2 sensors now?

Old 09-09-2022, 02:16 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by chopper_man
Thundermax has it's own o2 sensors that plug directly in to the Thundermax ECU and is retained by a set screw. Your PC3 is reading thru your existing ECU to supply the gauges, doesn't come directly from the o2's.
Since 2000 FLH-s didn't have O2 sensors, neither my existing factory ECM or PC III is connected to the O2 sensors that I installed as part of my A/F gauge setup. My present O2 sensors only report to my gagues.

I'll be replacing my existing sensors with the ones that come with the T-Max, but I believe they are both the same Bosch sensor.

Old 09-09-2022, 02:21 PM
WS6_Keith
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Z
Since 2000 FLH-s didn't have O2 sensors, neither my existing factory ECM or PC III is connected to the O2 sensors that I installed as part of my A/F gauge setup. My present O2 sensors only report to my gagues.

I'll be replacing my existing sensors with the ones that come with the T-Max, but I believe they are both the same Bosch sensor.
Right, but what gauge setup do you have? I assume it came with the sensors?

Old 09-09-2022, 02:25 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Specifically what devices/products do you have that read/display the O2 sensors now?
I should have included that. It's a product from Innovate Motorsports called the DLG-1 Dual Lambda Gauge with Bosch LSU 4.9 sensors.

https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/...gauge-kit.html

Old 09-09-2022, 02:27 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Right, but what gauge setup do you have? I assume it came with the sensors?
Yes it came with Bosch LSU 4.9 sensors.

https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/...gauge-kit.html
Edit

Quick Reply: Wye cable for O2 sensors?