Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike died on me!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:48 PM
PyroFLSTC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike died on me!

(also posted in softail section)

I was "clearing my head" after work yesterday and about 6 mile into my trip I lost power.
Luckily I coasted down the highway far enough to reach the driveway of an acquaintance.
We pushed her into the shed and I came home and scoured this forum for ideas on what had happened. Today with my list of things to check, thanks to all on the folks who have answered posts of this nature, I found that my ignition switch is bad (probably).
Upon disassembly I found he "start" side connection was melted.

Is the switch bad or is there a deeper evil I should find before throwing a new switch in?
How do I go about fixing the melted plug?

Old 08-08-2012, 06:56 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Could have been a loose terminal that just vibrated it's way off and then melted the remainingstrand of wire.The fuse is supposed to blow if there is any overload strong enough to melt things IMO, if you can't solder or tape it back you def need a new one , but I have never pulled one out to see how it's made.Then have a load test done...hope that helps.

Oh and I once read that it is dangerous to coast for any longer thana couple hundred feet because ther tranny will still turn only without lubrication, that was in my owner's/operators manual, don't remember the exact guidelines as this was in '07

Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 PM
PyroFLSTC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
This evening I found that the negative battery cable was loose.
Might have been the cause?
Did some shopping on J&P Cycles and found a switch and harness for, what I think is a reasonable price. Plan on placing the order later tonight.