Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tripping main circuit breaker

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Momosc
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tripping main circuit breaker

Hi. I've read the threads on similar issues with interest. On my 2001 Night Train, the 30 amp circuit breaker will kill the bike sometimes when I hit a bump in the road. It resets immediately upon turning my ignition switch off and back on, then I can restart and I'm on my way. It doesn't happen with every bump. The other day it happened twice in quick succession on mild bumps. I spent the next 150 miles hitting every bump and pothole I could find and of course it wouldn't happen again.
I have replaced the breaker with a new one. Obviously I have some kind of short. How can I help my mechanic narrow down the troubleshooting.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:07 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

What parts of the bike wiring does that breaker protect? You probably have a chafed wire that is only occasionally making contact with something, eg where your wiring goes through a hole, such as the rear fender to the lights. Another possibility is a loose connector or ground. These things are often mechanical, which your mechanic should know! By that I mean that something is loose, or making a poor contact. It is probably something very simple, when you find it!