Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike shutting off while riding, throwing codes b1006 b1007

Old 04-08-2013, 04:32 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the voltage across the battery when it's running? That will give you an idea of it's constant state voltage. If it appears normal don't rule out the regulator. I had one that would run fine and charge fine at 14.1 volts but still got the codes. Occasionally it would spike a 15 volt surge for a split second and set the code. You'll never see the spike without datalogging voltage. That's how I found the problem. A new regulator cured the spike problem.

Start with the obvious and cheapest. Disconnect and clean all your battery connections at the battery and starter. Use dielectric grease when you reconnect. Then make sure the connections at the regulator are clean. I use electronic contact cleaner spray every time I disconnect something, whether I think I need to or not.

If the shop says you're regulator is fine but it still gives you problems I would change the regulator. If it's a high voltage spike they need to data log it long enough for the spike to show up. It may or may not show up for them if it's intermittent.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Rob Robb
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

just had exact problem on my 2013 XL 1200 V Sportster 72
riding along and it died. got home checked codes both of these showed up.
I checked all wires & found ground wire for Cobra unit loose & tightened it
cleared both codes, going for a ride to see if it's fixed
If codes come back by what I see here in thread I'll take it to dealer to check voltage regulator I guess
PS bikes 2 years old and I'm always been finding stuff loose. Have to locktite & torque them down. I guess the guy on the assembly line ran out of locktite and was lazy?
P.S. tightened battery/engine ground wire where Cobra unit was installed. Cleaned all fuses. ECM fuse was dirty and had white stuff starting to build up. Took bike back out and runs fine now. No more codes or dieing at speed. So must've been loose ground or dirty fuses or both

Last edited by Rob Robb; 06-15-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem always seemed to go away for a while when I would get my battery replaced. I had thought I had this issue fixed, until last month. I was having the same issues again even after the battery was replaced. I finally found a broken negative cable. It broke inside the heat shrink right at the lug for the engine. The small wire is what connects to the frame. I'm pretty sure this explains a lot of the gremlins that would pop up intermittently. Hard starts sometimes, headlight dimming while riding, occasional loss of power while riding...

Old 07-26-2015, 06:59 PM
greybeard122
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Good catch. It's amazing what problems a loose ground can cause. That's one fix everybody who reads these forums should try to remember. You could have spent hundreds of dollars chasing that. Good job.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:08 AM
lbfjrmd
Stage II

Originally Posted by nevil
Just tell him exactly what you told us, plus anything else you can think of. Hopefully it's something simple like a battery cable.

Welcome to the forum.
lurking on this thread ... same here with '14 fatboy ... thanks for all da advice

Old 08-11-2015, 12:41 AM
Teburg
1st Gear
Default Bike shutting off while riding, throwing codes b1006 b1007

So I went through this exact problem merging on the interstate on my 2001 dyna lowrider I've checked every ground and positive thoroughly cleaned and replaced. I've taken my tank and rear fender off to check my wire harness that runs the frame I've replaced the starter relay and swapped the cylenoid out and nothing has changed... my starter is getting 12v from the battery ... my low beamed burned out the speedometer went crazy and died since then nothing I have done has changed it.... also the speedometer and odometer and techometer just has back light no readings... it was reading d01 or d10 the day before it died which I believe are both speedometer related... now all I can do is put a screw driver on starter power and one on the switch harness the motor will turn over but not crank. I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO GO ANY HELP WOULD BE AMAZING

Attached Thumbnails Bike shutting off while riding, throwing codes b1006 b1007-20150810_225752.jpg