Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike shutting off while riding, throwing codes b1006 b1007

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bike shutting off while riding, throwing codes b1006 b1007

I need some guidance/help with an issue that I am having. A few weeks ago while I was getting on the freeway(accelerating fast) the bike cut out about two times and then died(Clock was reset like battery was disconnected). After a little while I was able to fire it back up, took it back home and checked the battery terminals, I was able to tighten both about a quarter turn. Started back up and was able to ride that night. Even had it on the dyno at a local Bike night just to see what the numbers were. During this time it has been kind of hard to start, Dyno guy thought I had motor work, I figured it was my battery going dead. Other than that it ran great on the dyno.
A few days later I was riding at night and it looked like the headlight would dim and then go back to being bright, this happened about three times that I noticed. I checked the codes the next day and all I saw was b1006 and b1007. I checked the terminals again everything OK. I took it to the dealer to check the battery and it tested fine. I cleared the codes and everything seemed fine for a few weeks.
Saturday I was out on a ride (about 200mi) and half way through the bike died about three times while on the throttle but it came back and I was able to keep riding. The clock reset like the battery was disconnected(just like before). I checked the battery terminals again and they were tight. Battery is almost two years old. I checked the codes it is showing b1006 and b1007 again. Looked up codes and it is:
B1006 Accessory Line Overvoltage Instruments
B1007 Ignition Line Overvoltage Instruments

I'm guessing this might be my stator or voltage regulator??

The bike still is a little hard to start but it fires up. It runs great but I am nervous about this issue. Any advice or guidance is appreciated!

09 fxdb just under 10k miles
stock motor
SE AC
PCV
D&D Fatcat

Last edited by 777; 08-13-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:34 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

The thing in your story that I noticed is there is no mention of checking the battery ground, only the terminals. Maybe you did this, but just in case...

Old 08-13-2012, 12:49 PM
lol_paul_ledoux
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im experiencing somewthing similiar with my 1996 Sportster 883. Power and engine cuts out at various times. sometimes at a complete stop waiting for light to turn green, sometimes on the trottle in whatever gear. mechanic changed spark plugs because the gap was too big. and he checked the ground cable and said it was a little loose. on the first ride since all this, when at a light and waiting for green, all the power and lights cut out.

im pretty alright with bolt replacing stuff, but when it comes to electrical, i steer clear of that.

Last edited by lol_paul_ledoux; 08-13-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:59 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
I need some guidance/help with an issue that I am having. A few weeks ago while I was getting on the freeway(accelerating fast) the bike cut out about two times and then died(Clock was reset like battery was disconnected). After a little while I was able to fire it back up, took it back home and checked the battery terminals, I was able to tighten both about a quarter turn. Started back up and was able to ride that night. Even had it on the dyno at a local Bike night just to see what the numbers were. During this time it has been kind of hard to start, Dyno guy thought I had motor work, I figured it was my battery going dead. Other than that it ran great on the dyno.
A few days later I was riding at night and it looked like the headlight would dim and then go back to being bright, this happened about three times that I noticed. I checked the codes the next day and all I saw was b1006 and b1007. I checked the terminals again everything OK. I took it to the dealer to check the battery and it tested fine. I cleared the codes and everything seemed fine for a few weeks.
Saturday I was out on a ride (about 200mi) and half way through the bike died about three times while on the throttle but it came back and I was able to keep riding. The clock reset like the battery was disconnected(just like before). I checked the battery terminals again and they were tight. Battery is almost two years old. I checked the codes it is showing b1006 and b1007 again. Looked up codes and it is:
B1006 Accessory Line Overvoltage Instruments
B1007 Ignition Line Overvoltage Instruments

I'm guessing this might be my stator or voltage regulator??

The bike still is a little hard to start but it fires up. It runs great but I am nervous about this issue. Any advice or guidance is appreciated!

09 fxdb just under 10k miles
stock motor
SE AC
PCV
D&D Fatcat
Had same exact issue. Tested stator then replaced v regulator. Keep ridding it with an over charging reg and you might as well buy a battery and a stator. If you pull the derby cover and smell something awefull then stator is cooked!

Old 08-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I was able to check out the bike today. I was able to tighten the ground about an eighth to of a quarter turn. I used a socket to check the battery cables and I was able to tighten them about a quarter turn.(when I was out riding I only had a leatherman with a small phillips) So I backed them out and used blue Loctite and torqued to spec. It does seem like it is not hesitating when starting it up anymore. Cleared the codes and we'll see what happens.
Need to find a small tool kit for the bike.

Thanks for all the advice!!

Old 08-21-2012, 05:41 AM
Redhill Phil
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a bad earth. Put together a tool kit yourself mate. Easy if you think about it.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Aurimas
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having the same exact issue with my 09 FXDF

I be steady cruising on I-75 @ 60mph and the light would dim in and out from time to time. Then the motor dies for a second and the next second its back up and running.

Ive only had the bike for a month or so and its my first harely. I love it!

Would some one please tell me what I should tell the mechanic when I take the bike in to get serviced? I guess I can print this thread out and give it to him...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Auri

Old 04-06-2013, 08:56 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurimas
I be steady cruising on I-75 @ 60mph and the light would dim in and out from time to time. Then the motor dies for a second and the next second its back up and running.

Would some one please tell me what I should tell the mechanic when I take the bike in to get serviced? I guess I can print this thread out and give it to him...

Thanks,

Auri
Just tell him exactly what you told us, plus anything else you can think of. Hopefully it's something simple like a battery cable.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:21 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurimas

Thanks,

Auri
Sounds like a voltage regulator issue from what you describe.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:00 PM
asa1199
Tourer

Received 85 Likes on 45 Posts

I agree, voltage regulator. Have your charging system tested.

Quick Reply: Bike shutting off while riding, throwing codes b1006 b1007