Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Zippers Thundermax with Autotune... start up popping

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Panimal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zippers Thundermax with Autotune... start up popping

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to the site and have been trying to read through the forums. Man, there is a lot of great info here! Anyway, my first technical post...

I have a 2010 Dyna Wideglide that I put on a V&H Propipe, Zippers high flow air filter, Zippers Thundermax with Autotune, and Andrews 37 cams and adjustable pushrods. I did the cams after I had the other stuff done for a few months. The bike seemed to run and perform awesome before I did the cams. I had no issues and was very impressed with the t-max autotune. After I installed the cams, the bike still runs good after I let it warm up, but when I start it up at first, it has some poping or sneezing at an idle until it warms up a bit. I have to blip the throttle a few times to get it cleared up. Usually after I head down the street, it clears up. What do I need to do to adjust or tune this out? I'm a little intimidated to just go into the sections of tuning the module without having some advice first.

Thanks for any help

Old 08-13-2012, 07:40 PM
neogermania
Novice

Not sure if you did this according to the above, but did you write a new map to the module that matches the cam? I think the TMax will auto tune only so far, will need to be updated with a new map.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Panimal
Cruiser

Yes, I forgot to mention that... sorry. I did re-map it after the cams were installed. I've been searching around online this evening and I found this link showing to alter the timing right around idle and timing at the low levels of the TPS

I just tried this with my map, and installed it in the module. I'm going to see how this does when I leave for work in the morning when it is cool out (when the popping happens).

Old 08-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Panimal
Cruiser

Ok, I will have to wait till in the morning when it is cool out to see if the popping/sneezing out of the throttle body has stopped, but I just went for a ride around the city. It seems a lot more responsive off idle and pulls harder under acceleration. Seems like a nice difference in how it was running. I'll know more tomorrow morning when I head to work. Will post an update.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Panimal
Cruiser

Just an update if anyone is interested... the bike ran great and no popping today. Hopefully it stays that way.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 PM
ramnj
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:31 AM
neogermania
Novice

That's wicked, I need to check that website you stated to see about how rich my bike is running.