Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Commander Vs. Dealer Flash

Old 08-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Zedrx
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Power Commander Vs. Dealer Flash

I put Rinehart slip-ons and an HD screaming eagle air cleaner kit on my 2012 Slim. Now I need to adjust the fuel/computer. My dealer says the best way is to bring it in, let them flash it and dyno it. They said it normally takes a couple hours and 3 or 4 times on the dyno. Would it be better to let the dealer dyno it and tune it or to use the Power Commander? It'll probably end up being the same price, but if I buy the Power Commander I'll always have it and can re-adjust if I get different parts.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:44 PM
newmission
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First. Welcome. And good call on the Slim. I too have one!

I knew I wanted pipes, and desired an air cleaner, but knew it would come with a price. No matter what you do, your bike will need a proper tune to get it running correctly. I'm saying all this from novice experience, but I made the plunge and bought a tuner myself (like a Power Commander you speak of).

I'm a do it yourself kinda guy, and HATE wasting money on "service" from a dealer or such. You sound like you want to go the same route. There are dozens of tuners out there that basically do the same thing. It sounds like your dealer wants to sell you a Screamin Eagle Race Tuner. But they could be selling you the model that ONLY they can make changes to. So be sure you get the model YOU can make changes to. Everyone has their preference of tuners, so you're going to get a dozen different answers to what tuner to buy.

Here's the thing. A Power Commander stays on your bike and only adds new information to your bike's computer. A flash based tuner, like the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner allows you to make direct changes to your bikes computer and then unplugs and stays safe in a drawer until the next time you need it. No hardware to get damaged like the Power Commander! Now even better! Dynojet makes a PowerVision, of which I have, that is about the size of a GPS and is all touch screen. It comes with tunes for your bike, and allows you to load those tunes in SECONDS without the use of cables and software linked through a laptop you need to carry out to the garage. Dynojet is even in the BETA process of allowing you to autotune from the PowerVision, save changes, and flash the new adjusted tune to your bike on the fly!!! As far as I know, NOTHING else out there is that user friendly, and sophisticated! And here's a plug, buy from Fuel Moto and they hook you up with service and a custom tune with your specific mods.

Simply put, buy a PowerVision from Fuel Moto, plug it in, flash your ECM, go for a ride with a properly tuned bike. (I must add that there will still be tuning to do to dial things in to YOUR bike, but you'll be close enough). You've already made a $15K investment, another $500 will provide your engine with the safe operating conditions it needs to protect your investment! DO IT

Old 08-13-2012, 08:11 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey my first bike I wasnt going to make a lot of mods. I paid about 200 for the flash update, then I decided i wanted more and eventually bought the ECM. Go for the ECM the first time.