Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Attaching Wiring Harness to Underside of Fender

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:42 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Attaching Wiring Harness to Underside of Fender

Back in 2010, I got rear-ended on the bike and had to replace the rear fender on my 2001 Fatboy.

The original fender had metal tabs on the underside of the fender for routing the wiring harness for the brake light and rear turn signals. I found a used replacement fender which was an OEM fender but it had nothing on the underside of the fender for routing or attaching the rear light harness.

I went to Radio Shack and purchased some plastic wire tie mounts. They're basically a square plastic pad with double-sided foam tape on the back and an eye for routing a cable tie to hold your wiring harness.

Recently I noticed my left turn signial indicator was coming on intermittently (without the actual turn signals coming on) and yesterday it came on solid with the turn signal lights on solid as well.

When I started troubleshooting, I found that 3 of the 4 wire tie mounts had come loose from the fender and allowed the wiring harness to drop down and rub the rear tire. Well, you can imagine what a mess that made of the rear harness. I'm currently in the process of rewiring and recovering the rear harness.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has ever run into this before where there was nothing to attach the rear harness to the underside of the fender. If so, what did you use?

Currently, I've removed all of the old adhesive from the back of the plastic pads and have attached them to the underside of the fender using JB Weld. They seem to be on there pretty solidly but I was just wondering if there's a better option.

Thanks.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:00 AM
jaysledge
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The JB weld will hold a lot better than the foam sticky pads, it's just something you'll have to keep an eye on. The other option is if you have the back rails is drill into the fender and run the wires under the trim on the outside and back through the rear fender, but then you pretty mcuh have to keep the trim on the bike forever that way.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:22 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jaysledge
The JB weld will hold a lot better than the foam sticky pads, it's just something you'll have to keep an eye on. The other option is if you have the back rails is drill into the fender and run the wires under the trim on the outside and back through the rear fender, but then you pretty mcuh have to keep the trim on the bike forever that way.
That's a good call. And, It made me realize that I can probably just install cable harness loops behind each of the three nuts for the fender / fender strut mounting bolts. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I flipped the fender upside down and put spots of epoxy along the wires on my FXR.

Old 12-23-2020, 01:40 PM
Mike OConnor
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FBFletch
Back in 2010, I got rear-ended on the bike and had to replace the rear fender on my 2001 Fatboy.

The original fender had metal tabs on the underside of the fender for routing the wiring harness for the brake light and rear turn signals. I found a used replacement fender which was an OEM fender but it had nothing on the underside of the fender for routing or attaching the rear light harness.

I went to Radio Shack and purchased some plastic wire tie mounts. They're basically a square plastic pad with double-sided foam tape on the back and an eye for routing a cable tie to hold your wiring harness.

Recently I noticed my left turn signial indicator was coming on intermittently (without the actual turn signals coming on) and yesterday it came on solid with the turn signal lights on solid as well.

When I started troubleshooting, I found that 3 of the 4 wire tie mounts had come loose from the fender and allowed the wiring harness to drop down and rub the rear tire. Well, you can imagine what a mess that made of the rear harness. I'm currently in the process of rewiring and recovering the rear harness.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has ever run into this before where there was nothing to attach the rear harness to the underside of the fender. If so, what did you use?

Currently, I've removed all of the old adhesive from the back of the plastic pads and have attached them to the underside of the fender using JB Weld. They seem to be on there pretty solidly but I was just wondering if there's a better option.

Thanks.
soooo I just found out I have the same problem... my wiring harness to my rear light is heating up by my tire because the harness itself fell down on top of the tire during a beautiful ride today and it's true. What was the resolution to your issue did you find whatever clips that harness up to the top of the inside of the fender what did you have a workaround for it curious thank you I've got a 2012 Fatboy

Old 12-23-2020, 02:17 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,410 Likes on 2,559 Posts

Same problem here but with the front fender light on my Heritage. I found the same square tabs with the little hook that you bend over for the wire as stock at a local Ace Hardware. I then cleaned (sanded) the fender and used 3M double sided adhesive. This is the same stuff they use on all the flags and name plates on your car or truck. The trick is to prep the areas with alcohol and then pre heat both surfaces with a heat gun. This bonds the mating surfaces together real well. A process called migration. It's the same thing used on the dash panel inserts. My carbon fiber one has been on there 16 yrs and it's sat in the blazing Nevada sun for long periods.