Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Colorado Tuner for 2012 with Pinging issues

Old 09-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Demodave
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northern Colorado Tuner for 2012 with Pinging issues

OK, have the following going on.

When new, 103 Electraglide, it pinged when hot, with passenger.

REALLY pinged when going over the CO mtn passes.

Added Sampson slip ons, Big Sucker AC, cored the Cat, and added a Cobra FI 2000 Auto Tuner.

Still pings when hot, and 2 up. Even on the Interstate at a constant speed, ie 2500 through 3000 rpm. Especially when 2 up. Pings also when WOT above 4K.

So, what and where can I take it to fix it?? Or what can I do for a DIY fix?

Have heard that the T-max along with Rush Ceramic pipes will cure, but to the tune of $1600

Has anyone had the above issues and fixed it with a Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner? Or a Pro Vision, or a ?

Did the Cobra corrupt the current ECU??

20K and I have a bike that pings....

not real ecstatic...

And the folks at Cobra, well, let's just say Ditto.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:24 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

talk to Mr. Wizard about TTS before you decide on a tuner.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 AM
beaumontbagger
Cruiser

I'm using the SEPST along with www.tunemyharley.com software and am very happy. Knowing the cost you'll endure to move to this package it may not be the most economical solution to your problem, but it will definitely solve your issue. I am not familiar with other tuners, so I cannot attest. Is your knock control on? SEPST will allow you to see exactly when pinging occurs and allow you to adjust timing in that specific area. The tunemyharley software will use an algorithim based on your tuning files to recommend timing adjustments as well, althought I beleive they are somewhat conservative.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Couple of different options. Sounds like you need a way to adjust the spark timing. Probably the cheapest would be to ask the dealer for the Stage I download - it's a one shot deal and might not cure the problem.

Dynajet PowerCommander V will let you add to the timing, FuelMoto will supply preconfigured maps if you buy from them, Dyanjet has a few to download. You will probably have to get rid of the Cobra.

You will probably have to get rid of the Cobra for any of the tuners that flash the ECM. There are a few out there that will adjust your spark:
Power Vision
TTS
SEPST
I have used all three and have found the Power Vision to be the easiest to use for me (my opinion) especially with the ability to autotune.

Then there are the systems like ThunderMax and one other that slips my mind.

These are listed from the cheapest to the more expensive. I thought there was an updated tune from HD that addressed hot running motors and pinging? Ask your dealer. If your bike did this from the beginning did you mention it to the dealer?

Old 09-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Demodave
2nd Gear

Thanks for the suggestions, got rid of the Cobra, went with the PC V, as my local indy is well versed in it's application, and He feels the most comfortable installing it, and dyno tuning with it. Much to be said about that, as he has tuned previous bikes for me.

I seriously thought about the T-Max and P Vision, but in the end, went with my local indy as he can provide assistance if we encounter problems...

Also went with the V&H head pipes, as these will allow him to monitor each cylinder...

Thanks again

Cobra never worked, and the rep even stated that when the engine starting pinging, the Cobra unit would shut itself off, not add fuel as it was programmed to think the pinging was a "tuning issue"

So, can't recommend the Cobra for anything..

Can't cure the heat, timing, or even the fuel on a 103...

just an fyi