Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Shovelhead - problem static timing new Crane Hi-4N

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Shovelhead - problem static timing new Crane Hi-4N

My old crane hi-4 apparently died and the S&S folks sent me a new hi-4N (looks a lot stouter). Got it wired up (correctly I think - I hope as I don't want to pull the tank again). Got the TDC timing mark showing in the center of the timing window.
Instructions say to static time by turning unit clockwise until the red light goes out. It never goes out. I have it set for 5 (single fire - oe - electric start) and it has VOES attached (worked before).

Old 09-12-2012, 04:08 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Make 100% sure your at the TDC mark and not the advance one. Plus try moving the front cylinder forward 1 revolution to the next compression stroke - you may actually be in the 'off-stroke'.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

TDC is pretty obvious on this bike - vertical bar the full length of the window and I have made a point of coming back to it via a full turn.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Bkellyusa
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know what the conclusion of this installation was as I am thinking of getting one of the new Hi-4N modules myself. I had trouble with two out of the three Hi-4's I bought and so I am leery about these units. I hope the new unit is much better but it is still so new there is not a lot of feedback form owners yet.

I have a kickstart on my bikes so I am very interested in using the Crane module.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:54 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

It appears my problems with my Crane Hi-4 were self induced. I had previously removed the nose cone. When reinstalling I apparently missed by a teeth or two getting the pinion/cam/breather gears properly lined up. Once that was corrected static timing worked flawlessly and the bike never ran better once the hi-4n was installed.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:38 PM
handsmshovel
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hi 4n red light still on at tdc

83 shovel fxwg, red light wont turn off when sliding module forward or backward . I know I'm at tdc. Seems my crank gear has the timing mark at the tooth point of the sprocket instead of the valley ..wtf. if I set the new cam even 1 tooth off would this cause the red light not turning off? Or any one have experience with these any suggestions? Thanks in advance ! Hah!