Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

02 flstfi misses, cough out intake and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Muchavio
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 flstfi misses, cough out intake and stalls

I have a 02 flstfi, no major mods SE/AC, SE204, SE billet cam plate w/larger oil pump, SE mufflers, SERT. I did a bonehead thing last week, let the tank run low on gas, went to fill it up and ran out a few feet in front of the gas pump and coasted to the pump. filled up with gas, the bike started as normal but on the way home (few blocks away) it still felt like and sounded it was out of gas. it hesitated and seemed like it wanted to stall, made it to the house and it stalled. i put in some injector cleaner in the tank and changed the plugs, cleaned the battery cables and post but no change. the bike starts, runs for a min then misses, coughs out the intake, rpms drop, sounds like it's about to stall and go back up to normal, miss, cough out the intake and then stall. i checked for codes with the SERT but nothing in historic nor current. the engine light goes on and off as normal. i also tried getting the codes by putting a wire on the connector 1/2 but no codes flashed. I don't want to start replacing parts that don't need replacing. Any help or where to look/test next would be helpful. TIA

Muchavio

Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 AM
Muchavio
Novice

Re-cap, so far I've cleaned the IAC, throttle body again, crank position sensor, MAP sensor, checked all the fuses. When i turn on the ignition and start button, I can hear the fuel pump make the normal sounds. After doing this several times, the bike will start and run for about 20-30 seconds at normal idle, then cough or mis, the idle drops like it's going to stall, but it goes back to normal for about 10-15 seconds, then cough a few times out the intake, the idle drops while its coughing out the intake then it stalls. No historic or current codes showing on the sert. the sert shows all the data when it's running and shows the idle drop when it coughs, but no code is thrown when that happens and when it stalls. Not sure what else to check around the intake area and electrical connections/grounds. The only other thing I haven't checked is inside the tank to inspect the fuel hoses/lines and strainer/filter. Any other places or things to check or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I may just take it to the dealer to see what they find.

Muchavio

Old 09-25-2012, 07:35 AM
Muchavio
Novice

duplicate

Last edited by Muchavio; 09-25-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old 09-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Muchavio
Novice
Default 02 flstfi misses, coughs out TB and stalls

Don't know why i didn't look at and post this before. Went in to data mode on the SERT pro, key on/engine off and here's what it shows:

IAC position - 117.00 steps
intake air temp - 87.80 degrees
MAP load - 29.30 In.Hg
TPS - 0.47 volts / position 0 - WOT - 4.32 volts / position 100%

That appears to show the sensors in working order or at least registering in the ECM.

Muchavio

Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Muchavio
Novice

Ok I just noticed something different key on eng off, shows the front and rear INJ (injector). I just started and let it idle while still in data mode but now it's not showing a preassure reading for the front injector. That could mean either the injector is clogged or it's not getting a good connection that's causing it not to spray any fuel.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:21 AM
Muchavio
Novice

Oh well, scratch that last post. while it was idling poorly there wasn't a reading for the front injector, it coughed and sputtered, then stalled. I started it back up and there was a reading for both the front and rear injector. I'm thinking there could be something clogging either the fuel rail by the front injector side or something clogging the front injector. Anyone know of a way to clean the injectors besides soaking them in some B12 chemtool cleaner?

Muchavio

Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

how many miles are on your ride? if a lot of miles, you might consider simply replacing them both. The cost per injector is right at $80/each and the part # is 27609-01 if they are the stock injectors. $160 is not a lot to spend for peace of mind in my opinion for a 10 year old bike. If something is wrong with an injector, what most don't realize is they are not like a banjo bolt in a brake line where you simply pull it off, clean it out with carb or brake cleaner and put it back on. These injectors have very specific flow rates, very specific spray patterns, and cone shape, and all directly affect the proper atomization of fuel coming out of the injector into the cylinder. There are companies out there that specialize in cleaning and blueprinting (sort of like a dyno print of the injector) but in a lot of cases, that actually winds up costing more than just replacing them with new known-good injectors.

JMHO

Old 09-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Muchavio
Novice

Thanks for the reply. It's getting close to 70k on the clock and never had any major problems with it. The only thing that went bad was the TSSM module back in 05, had it replaced under warranty. If the injectors are bad, would they throw a code or cause a misfire or what seems to be a misfire? Because I'm not getting any codes in on the SERT. At first I thought it wasn't getting any codes, so I unplugged the engine temp sensor, started it and the engine light came on, turned it off and plugged the temp sensor back in. connected the SERT and there was a historic code for a failed temp sensor and i cleared it. I was thinking there could be something wrong with the crank position sensor, because it will start ok or take a long time to start sometimes. When started it will run for several seconds before it coughs/misses rpms drop, then runs fine for a few more seconds then coughs, misses and spits out the intake then stalls. I have data mode running during this time, all the inputs/sensors seem to be fine because the values all respond up and down.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:24 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I think (if memory serves me correct) on your year/model if a FI fails it will throw a code but if simply dirty it will not. Are you seeing any other issues at all with your bike?

Old 09-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Muchavio
Novice

I'm not for sure, but it seems, sounds or appears to misfire when it coughs through the intake and sometimes after I start it, I can see a little flame during combustion inside the intake when i open the throttle a little. That could be normal, because I never looked at that before when it was running normal. While in data mode, both the front and rear injectors showed a ms reading and only once the front injector didn't show, just the rear. While it was started the bike coughed more than before. It put the front injector and IAC at the top of the data page in a different box. the motor stalled after a few coughs, I cycled the ignition, turned it back on, both injectors showed and when started both showed a reading, they were both close, the rear 1 or 2 points higher than the front.

Quick Reply: 02 flstfi misses, cough out intake and stalls