Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

V INERR Error Code on Start-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 04:05 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep us posted. If it continues after you guys have tried a bunch of things, PM me. I actually have a couple of friends......

Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 AM
Bob E. Lee
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up It's done after all.....

Hi folks,

first of all sorry for the very late response but it took some time to find the problem.

Ok, I will try to explain what was wrong.

Well, battery check was fine and to be sure the exchange with another battery caused the same problem regarding the Vin Err.

But while testing the bike my HD-Dealer was able to repeat the error (what I couldn't), a good step forward for the solution. It occured when the engine was warm and therefore as he said the compression has had its highest level. At this point the starter has to do the most work to deal with this compression and needed the most voltage.........and there it is. Two ground eyelets connected to the frame (under the seat near rear fender) were not fixed correctly. A little bit too loose like screwed with hand. This circumstance lead to moisture under the eyelets because of rain or even water while cleaning the bike.
After 7000 kilometers and lots of starting processed the loose contacts occured rust (because of moisture) and to some extent overloads (similar to welding) because of less contact surface. The starter had not enough power any more to turn the engine and stopped for a second the starting process as I discribed the problem first time. This "second" without enough electricity in the system "confuses" the bus system and occured the error.
So he cleaned the eyelets, added some "battery pole grease" (correct wording?) and fixed the eyelets as they should be.

One additional point should be mentioned here which is also important. One ground cable which has about 13 copper strands was broken in about 6 of them (as the mechanic explained). So the bad contact was also caused because the wire diameter has only been half of the necessary diameter. The mechanic soldered this ones and I hope the solder point will not break again.

In comparison to the status before the difference now is a faster starter turning as obviously improvement. Everything else I will find out with while driving.

OMG very difficult to explain all that stuff in english but I hope you understood my explainations.

Greets
Bob

The following users liked this post:
porkster (08-09-2020)
Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

those darn ground wires and connections will get you every time and drive you nutz trying to find them.

you really should replace those cheap battery cables from HD with 2 ga battery cables from this guy Art hollywood63@hotmail.com
I as well as many others have bought and been extremely satisfied with the quality and price of his cables.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 11-28-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Firehawk766
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 Wide Glide With 103. I have the exact same problem with a VIN ERR displayed when the Harley is trying to be started.
I took it into the dealer and they could not duplicated the problem even though it happened in their parking lot. I think it could be a bad cell on the battery but they said they check out fine. I have been told a bad volt regularator. A bad ground or ??????
Any help to fix this hard starting issue would greatly appreciate becasue my warranty ends july 29 2013.
The dealer could not fix and sent me on my way.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:12 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 308 Likes on 194 Posts

I'm getting the vin err on my wife's 07 deluxe. I installed the combo speedo tach. I've put the trickle charger to see if it might be battery related... It's a pita because the speedo was bought in the USA and I'm up in Canada.

The instructions clearly state it may have locked to a different ECM... But it looked new but you know how the HD packaging can be...

H

Old 10-31-2013, 06:54 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

starter - battery IMO. Something is not allowing the engine to crank to spec. The ground suggestion makes sense as does loose/corroded (ground/postive) connections. The starter grounds thru the mounting bolts.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:11 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm having this problem now, too. I've checked everything mentioned above myself, but no joy. Taking it to the dealer this week for resolution since I'm still under warranty.

I just hate being without my bike, especially when I'm on leave and have time to ride!

Old 12-24-2013, 12:56 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by SquidHead
I'm having this problem now, too. I've checked everything mentioned above myself, but no joy. Taking it to the dealer this week for resolution since I'm still under warranty.

I just hate being without my bike, especially when I'm on leave and have time to ride!

http://youtu.be/0d57MjkM5SY
check the voltage at the battery when cranking. if it drops below 11v your battery is the issue.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Redda
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to make this my first post but my new 2014 FatBoy Lo started VINERROR code on the speedo and is back in the shop after just 2 days of ownership!!
Really frustrating.
This is my first Harley and I hope this is not a sign of things to come.
The shop phoned yesterday and said all was fixed - after the bike was there all week - went in to get it assured all was OK by the team - went to start the bike - VINERROR again!!
Have a Slim as a loaner.
ANYONE have recent experience with this.
Hello to everyone on the Forum too - great site by the way.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Which dealer did u take it to?

Quick Reply: V INERR Error Code on Start-up