Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike wont start with New ignition module

Old 10-25-2012, 04:29 PM
skooter2000
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike wont start with New ignition module

I have a 2000 Fatboy FLSTF twin cam 88. Well it started that way. It has been rebuilt wth machine work done by Dave Mackie (95 megasphere) assemble by trustworthy and knowledgeable machanic in my home town of Ventura Ca. The bike runs great. It has 10.5:1 compression so I have to be sure to use my compression release valves upon starting. However I have put on about 3,500 miles on it and its starting to ping a little bit. My mechanic and friend said this would happen after carbon build up and we would eventually have to get a better ignition module. It has a screaming eagle ignition module now and sarts fine. I have purchased a Daytona Twin Tec TC-88 ignition module and set the peramiters and the bike wont start. Put the screaming eagle back in and it starts. Put the TC-88 back in and its starts if its warm. Bike cools down and it wont start. Tried anthor off the shelf Tc-88 wont start. My mechanic put in a different manufactures module and it wont start. You name it we tried it cam sensors etc.. I NEED HELP!!! NEW IDEAS!!! ADVICE!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 04:01 PM
stevefxdi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might have to do what they call a remarry procedure, changed the one in my roadking and had the same problem with the bike not starting.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:23 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

there's a very good post (multiple pages) on here that I was reading just a few weeks ago about this exact issue. Starts fine with SE, but won't start with DTT. From what I read and understand those DTT modules can either be really easy to set and install or they can be a bear. Do a seach for Daytona Twin Tec and you'll find it.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:18 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Deuce with the DTT and noticed if the cranking voltage drops it wont fire, or it will only fire on one cylinder, but wont start. I have mine on multi spark, didn't change it, but I put it on the charger, it started right up. I wonder now if it would have started on single spark? My battery is 6 years old now, I figure it is time. I installed the DTT to cure start kickback, dialed initial timing back to 3.