Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision maps?

Old 12-28-2012, 08:43 AM
RJHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Vision maps?

Hi,

Posted this in the engine/exhaust forum and moved it over here. Wondering if anyone had an opinion.....

I have a 2012 Fat Bob and just put on a Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather and Screamin Eagle Slipons. I also have a like new set of Rush 2.0 Slipons that I'm considering installing instead of the Screamin Eagles.

It looks like the Power Vision comes with two maps that might work with my setup.

One is: 2012 Model: Dyna SE/Air Cleaner, Bub 7 slip-ons

And the Other: 2012 Model: Dyna (Switchback) SE/Air Cleaner, V&H Twin Slash Slip-on

My concern is that will one of these maps be optimum for my setup? Really don't want to spend money on dyno time. Was hoping with my basic Stage 1 that a canned map would work.

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Wondering if Fuel Moto has a map that would be more applicable to my mods than the two that come with the Power Vision? Are my mods not significant enough to make a difference?

I realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry about that. Is there a way to move it to the Electrical/Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection forum?

Thanks!
Hey RJHD, followed you over here, seems like all the big gurus on the PV are hard to stir lately but I will try to help. Yes, I do think FM maps are better than most of the canned DJ maps because they listen to what you have done to your bike and use their experience to make you a very good map to start with. With the FM map, it will be up to you to make it a great map using Autotune Basic and maybe Autotune Pro if you want to upgrade to the wideband O2 sensors.

Can you use the DJ maps, absolutely, they are probably very close too and you can fine tune them just like a FM map. I just think with FM's reputation, it is worth the extra $$.

Your mods, IMO, are not too different from the 2 maps you listed to not be used but you will have to "massage" them with the help of this forum, DJ/FM instructions, and maybe a call or two to DJ/FM.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 PM
RJHD
Tourer

Thanks for the response. I think I'm sold on the PV. There is another sponsor of HD Forums that has the unit for $419. Direct Cycle Parts (Think was was their name). Just wondering if buying it from Fuel Moto is worth another hundred bucks. I really have no plans on going beyond a Stage 1. $400 is a lot to spend just to tune an air filter and slip ons. If the maps Fuel Moto offers are better, I might go with them. Otherwise, save myself a little.

Frankly, 4-500 bucks to just remap my bike for an air filter and slipons seems obsurd.

Originally Posted by alansummrs
Hey RJHD, followed you over here, seems like all the big gurus on the PV are hard to stir lately but I will try to help. Yes, I do think FM maps are better than most of the canned DJ maps because they listen to what you have done to your bike and use their experience to make you a very good map to start with. With the FM map, it will be up to you to make it a great map using Autotune Basic and maybe Autotune Pro if you want to upgrade to the wideband O2 sensors.

Can you use the DJ maps, absolutely, they are probably very close too and you can fine tune them just like a FM map. I just think with FM's reputation, it is worth the extra $$.

Your mods, IMO, are not too different from the 2 maps you listed to not be used but you will have to "massage" them with the help of this forum, DJ/FM instructions, and maybe a call or two to DJ/FM.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:06 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I bought my Bassani pipes from DirectCycleParts, worked out great. I think you will be fine without using FM, and I have heard that DJ is real good about helping you out if you run into any problems. I think you will love the PV, it really can be as simple as flash and go or if you want to dig in to the tuning world, you can go for it. The big plus I think, is if you change your mind some day and want to add some new pipes or cams or ac, etc you can download a new map and do some Autotune runs and you will be good to go. Good luck!

Old 12-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey - I am having the same debate for my 2012 Sportster. I recently installed the SE Stage I air cleaner and the SE mufflers. Therefore, everything is HD.

I currently have the XiEDs, which I saw from your earlier thread were suggested by a vendor. They help the bike run better, but they are obviously not a true tuner.

Anyway, as for Power Vision, I am also on the fence. Here is why:
  • $419 to $500+ is a lot of coin for what I want, which is the proper re-flash of my ECM. That will take a few minutes and it will be done.
  • I do not ever see myself performing other engine mods.
  • I do not plan to mount this on my bike to see which gear I am in, the engine oil temp, spark stats, etc. None of those are important to me.
  • I am not trying to eek out every last drop of performance.

The other option for me is to go with the HD Stage I via the Street Tuner and cables ($250-ish) from Surdyke. Countless Stage I's are done all the time. However, any mention of the Street tuner is met by instant claims of foolishness, because it keeps the bike in EPA limits. I disagree. There are plenty of happy HD riders out there with bikes in EPA limits. My issue is that I do not trust my local dealers. I think that the service department is filled with fools and thieves, so I prefer to do any minor mods. I consider and ECM flash something I can do via Power Vision or the Street Tuner and my laptop,

So, is Power Vision worth the extra $150 over the Street Tuner to accomplish an ECM re-flash for a Stage I? it? I can't decide.

Let me know what you do.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:16 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I went with FM because I have been doing engine mods as my wallet allows so the support is worth it. If you definitely will never do any mods then let $$$ dictate your choice and if down the road you change your mind you can always add the auto tune option to the PV and it will adjust accordingly.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master

Originally Posted by soft 02
I went with FM because I have been doing engine mods as my wallet allows so the support is worth it. If you definitely will never do any mods then let $$$ dictate your choice and if down the road you change your mind you can always add the auto tune option to the PV and it will adjust accordingly.
For my situation, I think I would purchase from DirectCycleParts and save the $100 over FM. I've read multiple posts about the service from FM, but I don't want to pay for something I do not need.

The big question for me (and perhaps the OP) is PV worth it for those of us that just want a Stage I download for our HD add-ons of SE air cleaner and SE slip ons. Or, do we go the $250 route and get a Stage I download via HD.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:11 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
For my situation, I think I would purchase from DirectCycleParts and save the $100 over FM. I've read multiple posts about the service from FM, but I don't want to pay for something I do not need.

The big question for me (and perhaps the OP) is PV worth it for those of us that just want a Stage I download for our HD add-ons of SE air cleaner and SE slip ons. Or, do we go the $250 route and get a Stage I download via HD.
From everything ive read stay away from dealer down loads. You can always benefit from a tuner on these EPA engines. Man this PV has been nice. Ive used the diagnostic scanner a bunch and when my bike wasnt throwing a code but was idling funny I could look at the % of throttle imput and it was all wakky. So I knew the TPS was bad.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:18 PM
RJHD
Tourer

Are you sure you're not my brother? lol

I'm confident there are many others in the same position. I'll likely go the PV route. The added flexibilty may be useful down the road. May be better for resale when the time comes as well. Just not sure who to buy it from. Pretty sure I will update the ECM, take the unit off, put it back in the box and that will be that.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master

Originally Posted by RJHD
Are you sure you're not my brother? lol

I'm confident there are many others in the same position. I'll likely go the PV route. The added flexibilty may be useful down the road. May be better for resale when the time comes as well. Just not sure who to buy it from. Pretty sure I will update the ECM, take the unit off, put it back in the box and that will be that.
Ha ha, that will be me too.

If I do decide to buy, I think that directharleyparts.com has the lowest price at $415.99 delivered. They do not show the price until it is in the cart, but it then shows as $419.99. I then used the discount code "HDforums" for another $5 off. I know that there have been posts about them as a vendor, but I feel fine purchasing via paypal for added security regarding any possible issues.

Let me know what you decide.

Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Vision maps?