Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PC-v or coil??!!

Old 03-13-2013, 12:35 PM
taterbum
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC-v or coil??!!

Hello all, a little help would be appreciated here. I've got an 08 Ultra Classic. Its got stage one download, screaming eagle heavy breather, screaming eagle plugs and 10mm wires and a Power Commander V. Lately I've been having some issues that seem to me like maybe my coil is going bad but I'd like a little input from you guys before I put down the cash for a new coil because it occurs to me that the problem could also be the PCv.
Symptoms: When I start the bike after being off overnight it doesn't seem to crank as quickly as I feel like it should but it does crank smoothly, this is the case weather I've had it on trickle charge or not. After I ride it for a short while, very short, less than a mile and basically just long enough for it to warm up, if I turn it off for a short time, say to walk into a store or something, when I attempt to crank it, it is hard to start, sounds like it's backlashing or missing and it takes several attempts to start it. On the other hand, if I turn it off and allow it to cool down again, say for an hour or longer, when I attempt to crank it she starts right up. So, when its at operating temps its hard to crank, when it's cold it starts right up, which is what leads me to believe the coil is going bad. I've got a fairly new (less than 10,000 miles) battery, stator and voltage regulator. Is there a way to check the coil without buying a spark checker or hooking the damn thing to HD breakout box, the service manual says to do that or use another coil you know is good to check it, REALLY? Other than the carbon trail on the coil posts does anyone know of a way to check this? Or if you have a PCv and have had the same issues can you let me know before I lay down the bills for a new coil. I'm seriously considering trashing the PCv for something else.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:09 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

If I read you right your bike is pretty much stock, why don't you unhook the PCV and see how the bike runs without it. If your pretty much stock you won't hurt anything running it a short bit to rule out the PCV.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Dup, delete.

Last edited by Delta; 03-13-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Delta
Road Master

Almost sounds like the 08 I had. It was the compensator starting to go. That bike really didn't like the 255 cams and no compression releases.

But first I'd go with what msocko3 suggests.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 PM
taterbum
Cruiser

Originally Posted by msocko3
If I read you right your bike is pretty much stock, why don't you unhook the PCV and see how the bike runs without it. If your pretty much stock you won't hurt anything running it a short bit to rule out the PCV.
Yeah that's pretty much where I'm at, I'm hoping someone can tell me a way to check the coil, if not then I'm gonna have to unhook the thing and see what it does without the PCV, haven't considered the compensater, may also be worth looking into.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:45 PM
taterbum
Cruiser

[QUOTE=Delta;11028141]Almost sounds like the 08 I had. It was the compensator starting to go. That bike really didn't like the 255 cams and no compression releases.

But first I'd go with what msocko3 suggests.[/
QUOTEow
How many miles you have on your 08 when the compensater went out? I'm looking at 80k right now, I haven't even considered the compensater but that's definitely something I'm going to look into thanks.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Delta
Road Master

At about 10,000 miles the dealer changed the ring gear. At 15,000 they finally found the problem with the compensator and changed it out to the upgraded (at the time) SE version. It is my understanding that this is what is used now.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:19 PM
jcain
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds very similar to the issue with my '06 CVO Ultra. I to am running the PC-V. My bike has just over 18k on it and Stage 1 intake and true duals. I asked the dealer (as it's under warranty--bought used but with 2yr warranty) to please check to see if the compensator was on its way out. Hard warm start, spit back through throttle body...all the signs from what I've read of a bad compensator. They claim they couldn't find anything wrong. I still don't buy it. I am going to pull my PC-V (once the salt and snow disappear around here) and while I expect some decel popping I'll see if this improves the issue any. The behavior still could be a coil pack too I suppose as at one point last summer I stopped to get gas, jumped back on, fired up after several attempts and basically ran on one cylinder. I limped it to a parking space and sat there for 10-15 minutes until it cooled down. Then it started and ran fine.

I hope we both figure this out. I hope it's not the PC-V but it needs to get sorted out...

Old 03-29-2013, 04:41 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jcain
This sounds very similar to the issue with my '06 CVO Ultra. I to am running the PC-V. My bike has just over 18k on it and Stage 1 intake and true duals. I asked the dealer (as it's under warranty--bought used but with 2yr warranty) to please check to see if the compensator was on its way out. Hard warm start, spit back through throttle body...all the signs from what I've read of a bad compensator. They claim they couldn't find anything wrong. I still don't buy it. I am going to pull my PC-V (once the salt and snow disappear around here) and while I expect some decel popping I'll see if this improves the issue any. The behavior still could be a coil pack too I suppose as at one point last summer I stopped to get gas, jumped back on, fired up after several attempts and basically ran on one cylinder. I limped it to a parking space and sat there for 10-15 minutes until it cooled down. Then it started and ran fine.

I hope we both figure this out. I hope it's not the PC-V but it needs to get sorted out...
You have the old style compensator which last for a very long time. I have 37,000+ miles on my 06 Ultra which has been everything from Stage 1 88" to its present 120" build all with the same compensator and no starting issues, but I'm tuned with the TTS. Your going down the right path ruling out the PCV, its possible for it to make 1 cylinder to not run.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:11 AM
jcain
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

msocko3--

Thanks for the feedback.