Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tachs

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 04:35 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts
Default Tachs

Hey guys 'n' gals,

Anyone have one of the HD handlebar mounted tachs installed on a Softail model? I was thinking about getting one when I get my Train, and I was wondering if it's a big deal to install, and how it looks on a Softail - so any pics would be appreciated!

Better yet would be one I could mount in the tank console. Does anyone make such an item?

Thanks.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-08-2005, 04:45 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Tachs

You know, it figures... I post this topic, and THEN do a Google search, and lookie what I found! Genuine HD no less!

What do you guys think of this?

Cheers!

Old 01-08-2005, 02:27 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Clammy,

I like it, though wonder about the utility of it. Seems like it would be tough to read having that little needle on the bottom, and might require you to lean forward to see it, though I dunno fur sho'.

I've had bike with and without tachs, and I have never understood why a manual anything (car or bike) doesn't have a tach. I know you just get used to it after a while and shift by feel/noise/etc., but I like the tach myself.

Sorry to change the subject slightly, but other than that, I think that tach in your pic looks good, just wonder how user friendly it is...

Mac

Old 01-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

Clammy,

I like it, though wonder about the utility of it. Seems like it would be tough to read having that little needle on the bottom, and might require you to lean forward to see it, though I dunno fur sho'.

I've had bike with and without tachs, and I have never understood why a manual anything (car or bike) doesn't have a tach. I know you just get used to it after a while and shift by feel/noise/etc., but I like the tach myself.

Sorry to change the subject slightly, but other than that, I think that tach in your pic looks good, just wonder how user friendly it is...

Mac
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find an aftermarket tach that fits in the console beneath the ignition switch or something like that.

I WOULD like to see one of those in person before dropping the 700 bucks on it!

Who knows in the end I may just go with this one, or a handlebar mounted one... or none at all... I'm so indecisive![sm=smiley29.gif]

Cheers!

Old 01-08-2005, 09:05 PM
unclestoolie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me know what kind of crap you dig up here, Clammy. I, too, would like to have a tach on my '05 Springer, but I wuld hate to "ugly up" those bars and that profile with one staring me in the face, you know? I will be searching, too, and will forward anything that looks worthwhile.

Old 01-09-2005, 12:20 AM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a harley tach that mounts on the bars.I was afraid that of what it would look like but am satisfied with the looks after it is installed. I wanted the tack you posted half tack and half speedo but didnt want to pay the price. I am glad i went the way i did now. The tack was pretty easy to instal. The worst part was lifting the tank up a little to run the wires under it. If you went with a combo tack it is going to be the easiest. becouse all your wires are under your dash. But if you get a handle bar tach it will be a little more difficult bet not that bad. If you have any problems let me know.I can help you out. Dont get a aftermarket tack. It was amazing how well harley engineered the way the tack is installed. If you get a aftermarket tack you will have to cut wires etc to install.

Hope this helps.
David

Old 01-09-2005, 02:59 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Pics???

Old 01-10-2005, 01:12 AM
breaknbad
Road Warrior

Ill try with a pic.[IMG][/IMG]

David

Old 01-10-2005, 01:30 AM
breaknbad
Road Warrior

Tring again this should be a clossup of tach.

This is finally a pic of my bike.

David.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:32 AM
breaknbad
Road Warrior

Quick Reply: Tachs