Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How Do Maps Work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 10:17 AM
howartthou
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do Maps Work?

Hi All

Would someone care to explain how Maps work and what you need to do to get them working. I understand you download them and then upload them onto the bike and that tunes it?

I think you did to modify the bike by adding a unit called Power Commander which accepts maps and does the tuning?

There is a Power Commander with a USB - is this the best option?

Also, I read that this type of modification will void the warranty? [&:]

Old 01-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How Do Maps Work?

Basically a map, is the program for which the fuel system is run on. Its the equivilent to re-jetting a carb bike. Some of the newer ECM's(electronic control module)are programable which would eliminate the use of an aftermarket tunable mapping system such as the Power Commander. A Power Commander comes with software with different maps that vary depending on what exhaust and intake you are running. You load the map that best fits your needs. Power Commander can also be fine tuned, or custom set with the use of a computer. They also have a calibration scale built into the unit that can be fine tuned without anything but pushing the buttons on it. As far as voiding your warranty, I really dont see that as an issue, unless you let the smoke out of the ECM by hooking up something wrong.

Old 01-12-2005, 02:12 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you are planning on doing a lot of tinkering, and a lot of tuning on your bike...probably don't need to put the money into something like a Power Commander. When you make a mod to the bike's intake or exhaust the dealer will recommend you remap it...let him do it...again, unless you think you are going to be making lots of performance mods to the bike. From reading your posts, I think this is probably your best option IMHO.

Mac

Old 01-12-2005, 07:34 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

The other guys answered some specific stuff about the hardware and some about the software, too. Here's a simplified version of map basics: Think of a map as a graph or chart. On the graph we'll let the vertical equal engine rpm. The horizontal will be throttle position. (In reality there can be many more inputs to the graph, so we'd end up with a far out 3 (or more) dimensional graph.) If your engine is at a particular rpm, and the throttle is at some particular position, you can draw lines from the vertical scale and the horizontal scale. The point these lines intersect tells your computer to do something such as operate the fuel injector solenoid for a certain length of time to squirt a certain amount of fuel into the engine.

It does exactly the same thing every time, so if you have your graph (map) set up properly, you get the same results every time. Obviously, my simplified version above wouldn't be too good a system. But let's add another input to the graph so we now have rpm, throttle position, and an oxygen sensor. More inputs let the computer be more precise in squirting the correct amount of gas into the engine, and adjusting the advance.

Since I don't have a fi bike, I really don't know what all inputs are fed into the computer. Someone else with a book on an fi bike could lay 'em out for us. I can think of several that might there; throttle position, rpm, oxygen level in exhaust, manifold vacuum, ambient air temperature, ambient air pressure, engine temperature, engine load (though this could be a function of several things already mentioned), detonation detector.

One of you mechs wanna enlighten us on what sensors &/or inputs HD is using?

Old 01-13-2005, 01:00 AM
howartthou
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all, each of your answers make a good point or two and are very imformative. I have better understanding now.

SinceCrazy I liked your re-jetting the carb analogy. Also interesting to know my 2005 Heritage may not need the Power Commander

Mac I agree, I dont think I will need to play with it as I don't plan anymore mods, but its good to know about.

Skip, as usual, very insightful, I can almost see those graphs and have a much better understanding of EFI now...

Old 01-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GOOD READ!

Thanks Guys...