Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax ECM Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:06 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,255 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Originally Posted by cike
was tossing around the idea of getting a Thundermax 309-362 for my 2012 EGC. It has a stock decatted headpipe with slip ons.
When looking at the web site it is saying that all touring models 08-16 need to use headpipes from a 09 model or you have to install new bungs in your current headpipe.
Is everyone doing this, or is there someway around it? I tried doing a search but came up empty handed. Sounds like everyone is running aftermarket head pipes.
I don't plan on doing much to this bike. Just a stage one...could turn into cams as well down the road though.
here is a copy of what the web site says for the 08-13 model (14-16 says basically the same thing)
No way around it other than buying a head pipe that already has the bungs welded in.. The Tmax has 18 wide band 02 sensors to that need to be mounted something like 6 to 12 inches from the head..

Old 03-22-2017, 06:11 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

[QUOTE=Deadof_knight;16057894]
Originally Posted by gunnersmith
Hi Guys,

Hope someone here can help me. I installed a T-Max about three weeks ago and what a difference. I am running a 12 SG 103 with V&H true duals with rush mufflers and hi-flow air cleaner with stock cams.
It ran great for first 4-5 days and still runs great once it is warmed up. However, on cold start it runs on high idle for about 2 minutes then drops to about 920rpm. About 30 seconds later it will jump to high idle again but as high as 1700 - 1800rpm. It will run there for 30 seconds or so then back to normal idle. then runs great till next cold start.
Calibrate the iac sensor hot the do one cold . Maybe its dirty .... also for starters you could re intialize it ... mine wouldnt start at all until I did ... once you get it smoothed out you can in fact get that fuel injected bike to idle nice and low ...

Dead
So you mean street glide or supper glide? The 08-up street glides don't have an IAC. They have a active throttle blade control. In either case it is best to do what is called a side stand test and send it to thunder-heart. They will look at it an give suggestions even if the unit was bought used.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:40 PM
Deadof_knight
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

To reset a thundermax cycle it on and off 3 times 15 secs on then off ... 3 times that reintializes it

Old 03-23-2017, 10:11 AM
Trevor Y
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 08 and 09 models touring models have the 18mm bungs in the right place for the thundermax. Anything newer, you either get new headers with the 18mm bungs in the right place which they like to be 4-6" from the cylinder heads or you buy the bungs and get them welded onto your existing pipe, in the same place that the 08 and 09 have.
I have an 08 CVO ultra classic with cams and headers and mufflers and air cleaner.
I installed mine myself last week and had fun doing it.
I watched every youtube video out there on the subject and had a little previous experience with my 91 NSX and a turbo and tuning.
The tech support at Thundermax is amazing.
They can help you out.
They have videos on the Bung addition.
They could use more up to date videos of course to watch.
If you confused if you want to do it and what it takes, just call technical and if not there leave your name and number slowly and they will call you back, they did for me.
Also I had a problem with my throttle fly by wire this last saturday, and the bike dying to idle as I hit redline, and i just did an data collection and a submission to them and had the answer I needed to fix things the next day.
My 08 runs great now with only 160 miles of riding.
Taking a look at the fuel maps on my laptop at various rpm vs throttle settings I can see where the tuner pulled or added fuel according to my engine and driving style.
Once I get more miles on it, I'll do an autotune where the tuner takes all the data it had collected and makes me a new map and loads it into the tuner as the base map. Then ride again and do another autotune.
Just to explain, the tuner tunes automatically as you ride and collects and adjusts those points. This is all you have to do, just ride and the bike tunes it self.

If you want to do an AUTOTUNE procedure later on, you can. This AUTOTUNE proceedure take all the info and writes you a new map and loads it into your bike so then you new map is what your bike likes to see with your driving style and riding conditions.

Just wanted to clarify this so people dont get confused about automatically tuning and an AUTOTUNE procedure.

Hope this all helps.
Trev

p.s. some new bikes must have their stock 02 sensors removed and the ends of the sensor wires capped off with a special cap. Like I said, call into tech support for your year and model and they will help you out.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:57 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Couple things to note.. The 07-08 headers have o2 bungs on them but I would not switch to them. The use the old Y pipe which isn't the best for performance and can cause 02 sampling issues if real free flowing mufflers are used.. 09 is good and will bolt on no issues..

Tmax is a good system.. Support is excellent. I've got 2 baggers with Tmaxs on them. One has 80000 miles on it and the other over 70000. They both have been through a number of different builds, exhausts, pipes, heads, cams, bore kits etc.. The Tmax behaves very well. They don't completely autotune the bike. They simply adjust injector pulse width based on sampled O2.. Autotune only changes learned offsets to permanent tables. Things like timing, warm up afr, timing based head temp are all adjustable. They have a ton of maps that are close so the average user don't have to worry about this stuff.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Trevor Y
5th Gear

Good points Max!
Also, I didn't mention I dont have the stock headers on my 08, I have tru duels that came with the proper 18 mm bungs in the proper place.
And yes, the Tmax just adjusts A/F ratios.
Hopefully the initial map you load by picking it from a list to match your bike or with help from the tech dept will be close on all of the other parameters. And if not, like you have detonation or warm up problems, tech can help and get you to change some values or change your map for you and send it to you to load.
Rock on!

Old 03-28-2017, 07:54 AM
giants8107@gmail.com
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pain in the a@# to dyno?

O purchased a 2013 fat boy lo from a dealership . The bike already had a stage 1 kit with a Thundermax ECM installed . I recently purchased a new puoe from a custom exhaust shop called graffeo exhaust systems out of Texas . The pipe is going to take a couple of weeks to get here sooo....... I had gone down to a local bike shop thats supposedly a really good dyno shop . The owner had taken time to talk to me about some stuff but when I told him I had a Thundermax auto tune he didn't wanna deal with putting my bike on th dyno . He told me that the company zippers is a pain in the ads to deal with . Is there truth to this ? Everything I read about the Thundermax seems to be very good things .
So really my question is do I need to dyno my bike to get the hp and torque numbers ? Or will I see them when I download the software and plug in my Thundermax to a computer ?

Old 03-28-2017, 08:31 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

First, I wouldn't get it dynoed until you put on the new pipe. Just run a few auto tune sessions and that should get the bike to a decent tune.
You may want to find a shop that is familiar with the TMax and can dyno it properly once you have the new pipe on. The place you went to obviously doesn't know much about your tuner. So either buy a new tuner that they use to dyno your bike or get another shop.
The only way you will see the hp and tq numbers are with a dyno. The TMax software won't show you that when you link to your computer, only the state of tune.

The following users liked this post:
giants8107@gmail.com (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:24 AM
Trevor Y
5th Gear

Giants 8107
Just put your pipe on and ride buddy.
No need to dyno unless you feel a problem after 100 miles or so, but even then, just do a data gathering and send it to Tmax and they respond right away and tell you what they see might be wrong with your tune or bike.
They did that for me last week when I installed mine and it went into limp mode 4 times on a short trip, they told me the fly by wire wasn't talking well, and I knew that already and had a new one and installed it and away I went. Great Tech support without a middle man (ie: shop)

The Tmax is going to adjust your air fuel ratios for your new set up, couldn't be easier!
If you want a dyno sheet to brag to your friends, well forget it, every dyno is different and the way the bike is run on the dyno can the dyno setting can make your dyno curve look to what ever they want.
Just install and ride.
If you have a lap top and have loaded the Tmax program on your bike, then you can go in and do an autotune, like i just did. You don't even have to do an autotune to enjoy the benefits of your tuner, its always working.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:25 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

I've found Zippers to be real helpful when they were doing support for the Tmax but they haven't been doing support for a few years. I'm sure you get support from them doing their kits but for everything else you should go to Thunderheart. Zippers was spending too much time on support and wanted to get back doing more performance stuff, cam design, CNC head porting, etc..

Thundermax support is excellent. They have a team looks at all support issues daily and generally gets backs to you within 24 hours with a solution to the more complex problems.. Simple stuff, you might get an answer quicker.

Tuning on the dyno can be done quicker than the flash based systems which most tuners like to use but most dyno operators aren't in too much of a hurry to learn a different system than flash based.. Frank Dragos and Fuel Moto both understand and use pretty much all tuners.

You won't get a HP / TQ reading out of tmax, you really need a dyno.. With the bike being a stage 1, I wouldn't worry about HP numbers anyway.. It's more important that the motor simply runs well.

If the bike has a good map in it, a few auto-maps will bring the afr in line.. A dyno and someone that knows how to tune can optimize ignition timing and AFR tp pick up a little. The nice thing about Tmax on the dyno is that you can change timing / afr on the fly with the motor running. Flash based systems require stopping the motor, downloading a new file and cycling the power to reprogram.

Quick Reply: Thundermax ECM Thread